Chapter Three

Adria smiled. She wore the same clothes as the afternoon, not that I expected her to change; it was the same day and I was in my work apparel. Her appearance would not be acceptable for Happy though. She might be able to walk in with people grimacing and with hushed whispers traveling through the air. I was positive that the dirty looks would not stop. Others can be so judgmental.

      "Hello, I knew you would show up. They always do," she proclaimed once she was in earshot.

     "There have been others?" I wondered out loud. I had barely a clue to what she seemed to refer.

     "Curiosity kills the cat, you know what I mean?" She wore a large smirk from side to side on her face. It was like she knew this huge secret that she refrained from telling me. Even if this was purposeful or not, Adria didn't slip up. She acted casual as if she knew nothing.

      I didn't know what she meant because she didn't answer my question. I hoped I wasn't going to be killed because for all I knew Adria could be one of those freaky people that looked and acted like a young teenager to then only be adults trying to seduce and kill their victims like in The Orphan. That movie was beyond scary. 

     "You didn't answer my question," seemed to be the only sentence I could form coherently.

     "Oh, but didn't I?" She winked smoothly. She stood beside me like she was waiting for something. I expected her to explain herself or her reason  for meeting me in front of Happy and for standing there as lost as me. "The bus should be coming shortly."

     "So you won't tell me where we are going?"

      The bus' tires squealed around the corner and the headlights blinded me. I never expected to take a bus somewhere. Adria acted calm and composed, unlike me, who shook nervously and anxious to know where she was taking me. What if I just walked away and didn't step up on the public bus. Would Adria still go on or say something sassy to get me on the bus?

      It stopped exactly where Adria stood like it knew and obeyed her every silent word. She smiled up at me because I stood a good half a foot taller than her with a wicked grin. I didn't know what to expect.

     "I won't tell you, that would ruin the fun, but expect the unexpected." 

      Once on the bus with a few other folks, we remained quiet. The only sounds came from the bus driver, who sneezed twice and coughed the rest of the time. He had greasy hair and a pot-belly that reached the steering wheel. His driving was not atrocious, but it was not gentle. He also knew Adria. She got on the bus and he gave her a quirky smile. Adria nodded in response and put a couple of quarters in the slot to pay for the bus. 

       I reached for my wallet. I had to have some change. "Don't, I already paid for you," Adria whispered. I looked up at the driver and he motioned for me to follow Adria. 

     We traveled for about twenty minutes going around to all the stops and at last we arrived at ours. We were in a run down part of the city, but not exactly sure where. Adria thanked the driver and stepped off as I followed obediently. 

     "Just follow me. Try not to make too much noise. You don't want to draw attention to our existence. You could get robbed." I subconsciously gulped.

       We walked about four blocks in the opposite direction that the bus went. and we ended up in front of an old church. "What is this place?" I questioned Adria, hoping she would answer this one inquiry, though she didn't answer. We went in a back door and down a flight of stairs. The stairs smelled of dirt and a mixture of vomit. It was dark and on its own level of sketchy compared to when we arrived. But at the bottom of the stairs were a set of double doors, where light poured through the small window slits.