Mine // Luke Brooks

GRACE

"Mom I never agreed to moving. I'm gonna hate it here."

"Grace you'll be fine. I know it's summer and we just moved here last week, but you need to TRY to make some friends."

"I'm not very likeable."

"Yes you are, you just need to get used to it here."

"Fine. I'll go introduce myself to the neighbors."

Before she could say anything, I walked out of the house and slammed the door.

Introducing myself to neighbors PLURAL was a lie. I'll say hi to the people in the house on our left then to the people in the house on our right.

I walked over to the people to our left and knocked on the door.

A girl, looking about 25, opened the door, "Hello?"

"Hi. I'm Grace, I just moved in next door."

"Oh, do you want to come in?"

"No. I'm just saying hi to some neighbors. Thank you though. See ya around I guess."

I started walking away so she shut the door. I took a right to say hi to our neighbors on the right.

I walked up the steps, and knocked on the door.

A boy my age in a bandana opened the door, and said, "Hi. What's up?"

I already don't like him. He looks like all he does is party and just not care. Can't wait to get away from him.

"Um I'm Grace. I moved in next door."

"I'm Luke. Wanna come in?"

Does he say that to every girl who knocks on his door?

"No. I just wanted to introduce myself."

"Oh cool. Hey by the way, this weekend my family is going to stay at our beach house. Do you want to come with so you can meet everyone else who lives here?"

I was going to say something, but I couldn't. I'm too shy to speak now. I thought I would have to say two words, now he's inviting me somewhere?

"You don't have to decide now. Think about it and tell me later. No worries." He said.

I'm not going. It's a beach house, I'll have to wear a bathing suit.

Last month, I cut. I'm not doing this.

I walked home and opened the door.

I stormed up the stairs and slammed my door shut. I reached for my laptop and curled up on my bed just surfing the internet.

A few hours later, my mom poked her head in my door.

"How'd it go?"

"Knock much.." I mumbled.

Then I said, "I met an odd 25 year old and a boy in a bandana who looks like a..."

"Okay Grace. I know you don't like it here. You just have to get used to it."

"Mom. Do you understand how stupid this is? We moved to California because dad got a new job. Now, we've been here for like a week and he's going on a frigging business trip."

Before she could say anything, there was a knock on the door. She answered it.

After a few minutes, I heard her say, "Give me just one minute. I'll see what she says."

She opened my door and said, "Grace, one of our neighbors next door, I believe his name is Luke, asked if you'd enjoy going to his family beach house this weekend. He said it would help you get to know them all."