Epilogue

ONE YEAR LATER

The first time I laid eyes on Shelland Conall, she was crying. She had stopped in the middle of the sidewalk, tears streaking down the painted mask on her face. She was so small, even back then. Her bones so small and eyes too big for her face.

Her hair caught my attention first. Untamed and bright like wildfire against the cold white snow. Through the distance from the forest to her feet, I could catch wind of her scent. It was sweet, intoxicating. Even then, it fueled this inexplicable draw. We were both so young, so naïve, but even though I couldn't put what I was feeling into words, I knew it was...important. I guess I should have known it would end the way it began.

I step forward and brittle, blackened bones crunch beneath my feet. Sirens wail in the distance, still too far to make it before the whole factory collapses.

Flames, as neon green as toxic waste, shoot from the sides, blowing out shards of glass like arrows.

The metal doors crush inward, crumbling in half until they're sucked backwards into the flames. A black silhouette emerges inside the frame of burning brick, sauntering forward until the moonlight illuminates that familiar face.

At first glance, she seems surprised, as if she's actually caught off guard to see me here. But as soon as I think I recognize her expression, it scrambles into something illegible.

She looks the same. Amber eyes glowing, red hair snaking out like the flames behind her. She looks the same, but it isn't her.

"When will you learn?" The woman calls out to me.

I step forward and she pushes out her palm. A heavy force, stronger than a hurricane wind, shoves me backward. When I rush to move forward again, I can't. As if the wind rose into an invisible wall to keep me separated from her.

"Conall," I say, even though I know that it's not really her in there. Her body is merely a vessel now. A safe haven for the witch taking refuge.

The witch has been one step ahead of me this entire time, never letting me get too close to her. She's either slipped up, or there's something that she wants. Like the soul that's currently housed inside the stone still chained around my neck.

"You can't save her," she calls out again. "It's too late!"

"You will never convince me that that's true."

Something flickers behind those almond eyes. Something heavy and new--like an understanding she's never quite shown before. The struggle on her face vanishes with a blast of magic, knocking me backward.

Whoever is inside her body may not have Shelland's soul in there with her, but she mostly definitely has her memories. Olivian has a theory that if we break her down the same way she broke down Conall, we may be able to re-anchor her soul. We haven't been able to get close enough to her to execute it, not until now.

Pete starts chanting, entering the dirt lot from the right in sync with Ollie on the left side. They've both got their arms out, palms facing the witch.

The fire behind her explodes as if with her own fury as they chant louder, harder at her.

I push back against the wall, and sure enough, her energy has broken down enough to let me step forward. Pushing against the invisible force feels like I'm wading through thick mud.

They continue to chant, and the fire behind her begins to smother out as the witch's oxygen gets severed.

She begins gasping for air, distracted enough for the wall to weaken further.

Both Ollie and Pete move forward, and her gasping intensifies. Her eyes lock on mine as I move even closer. I'm just yards away from her now, helping them close in the bubble forming around Shell's body.

Just as I take another step, the witch lets out an ear-piercing scream. The bubble bursts from around her, shooting out a blast of clear air that sweeps the three of us toward the edge of the lot.

I push myself off the pavement, and immediately grasp at the necklace, exhaling with relief that it's still intact around my neck.

Ollie and Pete scramble upright.

"Where is she?" Pete asks, staring at the fire now burning orange and red inside of the factory. The sirens are louder now, just mere blocks away.

"She's gone," I yell back. "We've got to get moving. We can't be here when they show up."

Pete nods, waiting for Ollie to cross over to us.

"We were so close, Beck!"

I nod, catching my breath.

Ollie takes hold of my arm, quietly scanning for injuries that aren't there. Not physically, anyway. She says, "We need to think about the idea that she's too far gone. I don't want to either, but that is a possibility."

"No." I shake my head, pulling away from her grip. "If anything, tonight showed us that she's not."

Ollie frowns. "Beck, you saw what just happened, right?"

"You guys realize that this is the closest she's ever let us get to her. She's not stupid. She knows we've been trailing her this whole time, but she's always made it a point to keep us at a distance." I survey the factory burning bright ahead. "She could have killed us, with one blast, but she didn't. She tried to keep us back, as if protecting us from herself."

"Beck," Ollie starts. I can't stand the pity slathered on her face. "She's probably too weak. I mean, she's been burning up energy so fast, it's shifting the air. Even the Coven in Boston can feel it."

"No, it's more than that," I say. "Tonight, she let us see her. Get close to her! Sure, that could have been her way to convince us that she's a hopeless cause, but you didn't see her face. There's something going on inside of her that I think she's struggling. I have to believe it's Shelland. That she's fighting back."

They both frown. Pete's the one who replies, "But Shell's soul is in the necklace...how can she fight off the witch?"

I shrug, taking a moment to reimagine that strain in her eyes--in Conall's eyes. "Her memories. I think it's her memories that are toying with the witch. She was there, in the back of Conall's mind for everything. She felt how Shell felt, saw what she saw. That had to take a toll, of some sort, right?"

"Maybe," Ollie says. "But I do think Pete is right. We need to consider—"

"No.I won't. Tonight gave me hope. Even if I have to go it alone from this point,that's okay. I have a actual sense of hope, one I didn't have before. That'sall I'm gonna need to find her again." I take a deep breath. "I am going to fixthis. I promised Shelland a normal, human life, and that is exactly what I'mgoing to give her."