Chapter 7

The rest of that day, I felt the need to be alone, to wander in the woods away from Clint's house. As I moved further into the embrace of the trees, I inhaled the earthy scent of pine and felt the gentle breeze against my skin. The sounds of the world faded, and I found solace in the solitude.Eventually, I stumbled upon a small lake, its surface glimmering under the sun. The tranquil setting called to me, and I couldn't resist the urge to train. This was my sanctuary, a place where I could focus and push my limits without distraction.

I closed my eyes, centering myself as I began to manipulate the elements around me. Water danced at my fingertips, swirling and forming intricate shapes in the air. With every movement, I felt the weight of my worries lift, the tension in my chest easing. Hours passed as I lost myself in the rhythm of my powers, the gentle splashes of water grounding me.

As the sun began to set, painting the sky in hues of orange and pink, I reluctantly decided it was time to head back. I made my way through the trees, the shadows growing longer, until I finally arrived at Clint's house.

As I entered, I was surprised to see Fury standing in the kitchen, deep in conversation with Clint and Laura. His presence was unexpected, and the air seemed to shift with his arrival.

"Fury," I greeted, a mix of curiosity and caution in my voice.

"Alice," he nodded, his expression unreadable. "Glad to see you're all right. We need to talk."

I exchanged a glance with Clint, who looked just as intrigued by Fury's presence.

"Is it about the mission?" I asked, my heart quickening.

"Let's just say it's about more than that," Fury replied cryptically, turning his gaze back to Clint.

Later that night, the kitchen filled with the soft hum of conversation as the rest of the team assembled. The atmosphere was tense, an undercurrent of urgency buzzing beneath the surface. It was time to talk business. I leaned against the kitchen counter, absorbing every word, my heart racing with the gravity of the situation.

"Ultron took you folks out of play to buy himself time," Fury began, his voice steady and authoritative. "My contacts all say he's building something. The amount of Vibranium he made off with, I don't think it's just one thing."

I exchanged glances with Clint, who looked equally concerned. The thought of Ultron's growing power sent a chill down my spine. "We need to find out what he's planning before it's too late," I said, my voice steady despite the fear creeping in.

"What about Ultron himself?" Steve asked, his brow furrowed with determination.

"Ah. He's easy to track; he's everywhere. Guy's multiplying faster than a Catholic rabbit. Still doesn't help us get an angle on any of his plans though," Fury replied, his tone unwavering.

Tony interjected, his confidence shining through despite the gravity of the conversation. "Is he still going after launch codes?"

"Yes, he is, but he's not making any headway," Fury confirmed, and I could feel the tension in the room deepen.

"I cracked the Pentagon's firewall in high school on a dare," Tony added with a smirk, but Fury's expression remained serious.

"Yeah, well, I contacted our friends at the NEXUS about that," Fury shot back, not missing a beat.

"NEXUS?" Bruce chimed in, his analytical mind already piecing things together. "It's the world internet hub in Oslo; every byte of data flows through there, fastest access on Earth."

Clint leaned forward, his eyes narrowing. "So what'd they say?"

"He's fixated on the missiles, but the codes are constantly being changed," Fury replied, his gaze scanning the room.