Greg

Words have more power than expected. It was just one word that got me a one way ticket to group counseling. And this ticket just happened to be a note, excusing me from my last period study hall every Friday for the remainder of the year. Yet more words, having the power to pretty much ruin my week.
Last period study hall on Friday is the best class all week. I mean, it's Friday, it's the end of the day, and the supervisor is Mr. O'Neill. He lets us do whatever we want. Most people talk to their friends or sneak away to the closet for a make out session. Seeing as though I have no desire to have friends or a girlfriend, I usually end up sleeping. Not that I'm complaining, I get some much needed rest during that period.
Although, every once in a while, everybody gets too loud for me to sleep. Sometimes I wish Mr.O'Neill would make them shut up. But unfortunately, the man is blind as a bat and has the hearing of an earthworm. Do earthworms have bad hearing? I hope so, otherwise that analogy is shot.
What I wouldn't give to have Mr.O'Neill teach all of my classes. With him being severely visually impaired, he probably wouldn't notice my missing assignments. And he definitely wouldn't have confronted me about it in front of the whole class. Like Mrs.Trent did.
"Someone has been slacking off." She had grabbed the corners of my desk and looked me right in the eyes. She had leaned so close that I could tell you that she had eaten pancakes for breakfast. I just stared back silently. "Would you like to explain to me why you have three missing assignments, Greg?" she had asked. Then I had gotten mad.
"It's none of your damn business." I replied evenly. I had barely blinked before I was sent to the office.
Linda, the secretary, hadn't even looked up from what she was doing before monotonously saying, "Just go right in, Greg."
"She seems to have a problem with sounding like she is ever having a good time." I had said as I walked toward the door to the principal's office.
"He seems to have a problem with enjoying being sent to the principal's office." she had replied, still without looking up.
"It's because I get to see you, Linda. You may have not noticed, but I am madly in love with you. I actually cussed so I would get the chance to ask you out for some coffee." I had replied, my voice with just a hint if sarcasm.
"He also seems to have a problem with compulsively lying."
"Touché, Linda." I had said as I walked toward the door to the principal's office. I think Linda is as close as I will ever get to having a friend.
Principal Jenkins had looked up as I walked in. She had flashed her warm
smile before saying, "Have a seat Gregory."
I had sat down as I said, "You should know by now, Evelyn, Greg is fine."
"You should know by now, Gregory, Principal Jenkins is fine. And you should also know that I would rather call you Gregory. To add another onto the list, you should know by now that you shouldn't cuss to Mrs. Trent."
"She was pissing me off."
"Once again, I will pretend that I didn't hear that. And once again I will tell you, it needs to stop." I could tell she meant business.
"Will an 'Oops, it slipped out. It won't happen again,' suffice?" I had asked hopefully. I might not like Mrs.Trent's class, but it beats sitting in the principal's office.
"Not this time. It has come to my attention that you have fallen behind in some classes. And-"
"Not you too." I had groaned.
"And with everything considered," she had continued, unwavering, "I think I have decided on the best course of action."
"Which is?" She had gotten my attention.
"You will be attending a weekly group counseling session with-"
"Hell no."
"Greg-"
"Hell. No."
"Gregory," she had said calmly, "Please sit down." I hadn't realized I had stood up. I sat back down, a bit flustered. "Greg, listen to me. Are you listening?" I had nodded my answer. "I know you are having some problems at home-"
"You don't know me! You don't know my life!" I had stood back up outraged.
"Greg, sit back down." Evelyn held her hands out in front of her in a placating gesture. I am bigger than she, but I wouldn't hurt her. She must've known that because she hadn't looked scared. After I had calmed back down, I had taken my seat again.
"I'm sorry." I had said with my head hung low.
"Its perfectly fine. You were right, I don't know what it feels like to go through what you're going through. But I do know that it's important to have a person or people you can talk to. And I feel that this group counseling is a good opportunity for you to have just that." Evelyn had studied me, to see my reaction. I could see the sincerity and care in her eyes. I had weighed my options for a minute or so. I eventually came to the conclusion that I only had one option.
"Fine." Just one word, portraying my surrender. One word, ruining my week. "When do I start?"