My Crazy Life

“Ella It's time to get up for school!”

I sighed and sat up slowly in my bed. I got up and walked to my bathroom to take a shower. When I got out of the shower I put on my black shirt and my light wash jeans. I went down stairs and grabbed a banana on my way out the door. When I got in the car my mom tried to talk to me, but I did not really listen. Eventually she gave up and stopped trying to talk to me.

“Have a good first day back at school!”

“Whatever” I mumbled and climbed out of the car. This was going to be a long hard day.

Let me tell you a little bit about myself. My name is Ella Lake and I am in 8Th grade. I have long curly dark brown hair and big brown eyes. I am average weight and height. I am usually a fun and happy person, but I recently changed a lot.

I used to have a sister. Her name was Samantha. She was my twin, and she was my best friend. She looked exactly like me, but her hair was black. I knew that I could always count on her to be there for me. We never fought. She always understood me. She never judged me. She was one of the nicest people I knew. And now she is gone.

A few weeks ago she woke up in the middle of the night. She was pale and she could not breathe. My parents called the ambulance. The doctors said she had a collapsed lung. Then after doing several test they found out that she had little holes in both of her lungs. This caused her left lung to collapse. Her lung collapsed around the time that she woke up. Her prognosis was not good. The doctors said she would die within a few days or weeks. The only thing that could save her is to get both of her lungs transplanted. She got her name put on the lung transplant list, but her chances of finding a donor were low. In the next few days her health declined rapidly. She had to be put on life support.

A week after she had been sent to the hospital I got a call at school that would change my life forever. My parents told me that my sister had been taken off of life support. It was the worst day of my life. The next few weeks passed by quickly. They were filled with people saying how sorry they were. I only remember a little about the funeral. I cried most of the time. I remember how peaceful she looked. She looked better than she had in a long time. I saw a lot of friends and family members that day. They all apologized and said the same things, but none of their words made me feel better.

This was my first day back at school. I am not the same person now. I cannot remember the last time I laughed or smiled. The only good thing about today is that I have a field trip. At least I will not have to do work.

“Okay class Ella is coming back today so please be very nice to her. She is going through a hard time.”

After the teacher finished talking I walked in. Everyone was watching me very carefully. I walked slowly to my seat and sat down. I heard several people say sorry for your loss and sorry about your sister, but other than that no one said anything.

The teacher started giving instructions about the field trip. She sent me with Emily, James, and Micheal to make sure that the buses were ready.

Emily is nice. She is not really my friend, but we talk on occasion. Micheal is pretty nice too. Our parents have known each other for years. I really despise James. He thinks all of the girls like him. He is so arrogant and rude. When we got to the bus I sat down next to James because I had to.

“I'm sorry about your sister,” he said.

“It’s okay,” I responded blankly. I am surprised that he cares. I looked out the window at the kids coming to get on the bus. I stared out the window the entire time. It started to rain really hard. We pulled onto a dirt road that was a short cut to get to the zoo. The next thing I knew I felt a crash and a huge amount of pain in my leg and my chest. I tried to open my eyes, but I could not.