Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten (Rylan's POV)

Something was up with Cal.

He wasn't talking to me as much as usual and I felt like he was hiding something from me, which put me on full alert. It's not that I didn't trust Cal. I just didn't trust anyone else around Cal, especially Kasper. He was sticking around later than intended for Christmas and my gut told me this was a bad idea.

And my gut was always right.

"I think Kasper's stealing Cal." I stated aloud, making Aidan look up from playing with his pups.

"Oh, don't start again," He chided as he lifted Skye into his arms, cradling him close as the pup sniffled from his cold, "Cal's just one of those do-gooders. He has to make sure everyone is happy before he can be happy." I scowled, leaning back in my armchair as Aidan sat on the sofa with Skye in his arms. Ares, Jasper, and Seth leapt onto the sofa with him, curling up in his lap in a heap. I frowned, looking away out the window.

I spotted Raven helping Kyler and Remi pack their things as they readied to return home. I saw Cal hugging Kyler tightly and snapping photos with that camera of his. I made a mental note to visit the camera shop in Rosemary to print off his photos.

My light mood ended, though, when I saw Kasper holding some of Remi's luggage, his eyes downcast as he handed it to Remi, who thanked him with a smile. I clenched my fists as Cal came up beside him, saying something with a tender smile on his face. Kasper's eyes widened and he blushed before looking away.

I ground my teeth together angrily, my nails cutting past the leather of the armchair, my blood boiling.

I hated him.

I hated Kasper.

Cal was mine. I know Cal was just trying to help him and he couldn't resist. It was like Aidan said. Cal wanted to help anyone and everyone. It was just one of those endearing qualities I couldn't resist, but it was also one of those qualities that worried me. He wanted to help everyone and I couldn't help, but feel jealous. I wanted Cal to help me, not everyone.

I wanted to be the only person he saw. Not Kasper.

At the same time, something was off about Kasper. It wasn't just his crush on Cal that bothered me, but something about the way he was. He acted inhuman. Sure, that wasn't odd to say about a were, but most weres had a human half.

Kasper had nothing.

He was just a raven.

A messenger.

An obstacle.

"You're ripping the sofa." Aidan's voice broke into my thought process and I blinked in time to see Kasper walk away from Cal quickly. There was no denying the hurt on Cal's face and it plunged me into boiling hot water as I shot to my feet.

"I'm gonna fucking slaughter that bird." I stated hatefully. Aidan blinked, looking at me in confusion before his eyes widened. He set Skye down quickly and got up in front of me before I could make it across the room. I glared at him, baring my teeth and Aidan growled threateningly, making me frown.

"Don't you dare," Aidan warned, still taking a step away from me and craning his neck to glare up at me, "Cal's working hard to help Kasper. Quit being selfish and let him do what he does best. Making other people happy."

"Kasper can find his own werewolf." I snarled, ready to step past Aidan, but he dodged in front of me again, making me snap my teeth at him. He lunged back, then scowled.

"Quit it! You're doing that whole meanie possessive thing and that's not what Cal loves about you. Well, honestly, I have no idea what he loves about you, but you need to respect what Cal does. There's also the fact that Kasper's pretty cool. So what if he's crushing on Cal? Cal doesn't love Kasper. He loves you, Rylan." He insisted, stomping his foot for emphasis. I growled.