Chapter 2.1

Blinding light met chocolate eyes. With a hiss, Aster instinctively pulled a blanket to cover his vision. He paused slightly as the white blanket cloaked his body. He slowly peeked at the room. His eyes narrowed in concern as he analyzed the contents. Everything was white from the medical supplies placed neatly in the desk across of him to the row of beds beside him

It didn't take a genius to figure out that he was currently in the university's medical facilities. Now the question of how and why he was here popped into his head. He was sure that nothing detrimental happened during the test. After surpassing it, all he remembered was just standing there, proudly basking in his accomplishments.

Then everything went blank. He winced as he tried to remember what happened next. All he could recall was the elation, the sense of victory that all researchers have when finally discovering a secret of the universe.

"So you're finally awake." A familiar voice disrupted his thoughts. He turned towards the source and found his redheaded friend leaning on the door. His golden eyes stared at him with the same firm yet caring concern. He gave a small shrug at Aster's quizzical stare. "To be honest, I expected you to be knocked out for at least a few more days."

Aster's confusion only increased. He glared at his friend. "Why am I here, Oleander?"

The redhead almost scoffed at the question. "Why do you think you're here, Aster?" He stared so intently that the Hermit almost felt exposed. The new professor took a deep breath before releasing it. "You fainted after the test. The staff took you straight to the nearest hospital room."

"That explains the why." Aster mused out loud. He examined his body, noticing clean white bandages covering his arms. A baggy, light blue medical gown was draped over his slim form. "Now tell me the how."

"Would you like the full list?" The question was obviously rhetorical. Aster kept quiet as Oleander continued. "Exhaustion, hunger, injuries and sleep deprivation." His friend glared at him as he listed the basics. He sighed in exasperation. "What a fool. A reckless, useless fool. If this is a normal Hermit's habits then thank god they aren't the majority."

Aster grinned at the friendly jab. "Dear friend, you know that I'm no ordinary Hermit." He pointed at his chest. He ignored the flaring pain that erupted as he smirked. "For one, none of them are as smart as I am."

"You are no ordinary Hermit." Oleander easily agreed. He nodded his head, a grin forming on his face. "None are as foolish as you are."

"You wound me."

"We're in a hospital." Oleander's flippant attitude was infectious. Aster laughed at his statement. Indeed they are. "We could easily patch you up if that was the case."

"Emotionally, not physically." Aster rolled his eyes. "Surely, even a heretic like you would know such logic."

"This is Fernum-Magnum, we could easily fix that too." Oleander smirked. Aster feigned a glare at the smug aura. Rich, good-looking bastards! The world revolves around them, the Hermit silently swore. "In fact, it wouldn't be too hard to call for one right now..."

Aster shook his head. He gave a cheeky grin. "Not even a Wizard adept at the Mind Arts could translate my genius. Your efforts will be in vain."

"It wouldn't hurt to try." Oleander shrugged. The atmosphere lightened as they continued their banter. "I'm sure there's a competent Wizard around here who could poke around in that deranged head of yours."

"You know what they say, insanity and genius are two sides of the same coin."

"That doesn't fill me with relief." Oleander's response was as dry as the desert. His mirthful eyes dimmed slightly. "The exact opposite, in fact. You were extremely reckless."