Prologue

My name is Rosalyn Sinclair, the only child of Jonathan and Mary Sinclair, the preacher's granddaughter, and the recipient of the Sinclair fortune. My ancestors founded our town hundreds of years ago, and we still profit off of it today. We own more than half the town and its people. The mayor has to turn to my father and grandfather for permission to do anything, because like I said, we own the people. My grandfather, William Jones Sinclair, is the preacher of the only church in town, and he plays every one like a puppet. Like his fathers before him, he strives to make the town perfect. Perfect church, perfect homes, prefect parks, perfect schools and perfect people. Everyone is wrapped around our fingers; without us the town would die. Every marriage sanctioned by William Sinclair, every baptism, every store opening, approved by us, by him. When grandfather passes, I get this responsibility.

At school I am on honor roll every year, all year, a B is a sin. No boyfriend until after college, no parties, no high heels, no talking back, no crying, no failure, everything must be perfection. These are the rules I live by, rules approved by the Sinclair's. I go to school, go to church, go home and do homework, then restart it all over again.

Being perfect means surrounding yourself with perfect. I've had the same friends, hand picked by my mother, since Sunday school. Molly is my father's business associate, her mother is the mayor's secretary. Molly has always been the one to blend in the crowd. Wears what everyone else is wearing, speaks about what everyone else is speaking about, not a individual. Her mother stripped her of any uniqueness when we were in elementary school. She couldn't allow her only daughter to parade around looking different when she had a reputation to uphold. Chloe is very self involved, being an only child,and raised by selfish people. Chloe started wearing makeup in the fifth grade, by her father's wishes to make his dull looking daughter more wanted. His wife, Chloe's step mother, was the town's beauty pageant winner when she was a teen. Chloe's dad only wanted the best of the best. Of course my parents didn't know this, all they saw were well behaved, good looking, honor roll, church going children.

My grandpa always said I had a knack for fixing people. I've always found what's best in people, what talent, skill or attraction they have and work with that to make them better. It was no surprise that he wanted to help our town's newcomers.

The Dean's, they moved here from Florida, and live in the house next to mine. They've been here a month and haven't come to a sermon. That worries grandfather because he doesn't have any reign on them, they are a wild card. Mrs. Dean works as a teacher in the middle school. Mr. Dean is a college professor for philosophy, which is highly discouraged in my house. Daniel Dean is the new quarter back, and pays too much attention to the cheerleaders. Grandpa has already gotten the coach to straighten him up, get Daniel in check before he ruins the good girls of my grandfather's town. Jasmine Dean put the wild in wild card. She has blue and purple hair, dyed all the way down to her waist, a silver stud in her nose, and an attitude since day one. Shes our classic bad girl, doesn't go to church, talks back to teachers, dresses weird, and rumor is she got pregnant in Florida and that's why they moved here, to keep her from getting bullied after her abortion.

She's my assignment: to get her to be one of us.