Part Five: New Start

Mei and I finished backing up before a couple of men in Black started asking for us. We get everything in the car and drive far away.

"Shiro. I have an idea."
"What is it?"
"What if we changed our appearances? That way no one will recognize us."
"What do you mean?"
"Dye our hair, eye contacts to change our eye color. Somewhere along the lines."

I think for a bit.

"I even know someone who can do it."
"YOU WHAT?!"

Mei flinches. I sigh.

"Mei we talked about this. We can't make friends until we're safe."
"We're safe? You mean me. You've been protecting me because of what happened. I'm trying to make it easier."
"It would be easier but how can you-"
"Because I already talked to them and they won't say anything."

I stay silent thinking for a while.

"Alright fine. What do you have in mind?"
"Stop by the next beauty shop."

I nod and pulled into a small town. A small beauty shop sits between two taller buildings. Before I even parked, a blind man came walking out.

"Talked him into it huh?"

Mei giggled. "Yes I did."

The man smiles toward my direction. Before I can say anything he speaks.

"Shiro. It's been a while. I remember when you were just a baby."
"Umm... excuse me but do I know you?"

The man chuckles. "You should after all. I changed your diapers when your mom and dad were gone."

"Kia!" I immediately hug him. "Man how have you been?"

"Blind." Both of us burst out laughing.

Mei looks at me frustrated.

Oh no. Here it comes.

"You mean to tell me... after telling me that we can't have friends at the moment... THAT YOU KNOW KAI?!"
"Yup."
"You know.... you're a real jerk sometimes."
"Yeah but you love me, sis."

After a while of arguing and joking, we head inside the barber shop. I get my hair dyed a dark blue and cut. My bangs no longer cover my eyes.

Mei gets her hair dyed a bright green that actually suits her and cutter to her shoulders.

"Just a few more things then you two can have a new start." Kai said.

I smiled. "Good."