The dusty dirt road

I walk down this dusty dirt road, eating this ice cream, my path opens up as I take these steps for the first time after my surgery and the only thoughts that are rushing through my head are where would I be if I didn't get this heart transplant? I wouldn't be able to play with my friends, would I still be in the cold hospital bed, hooked up to a machine waiting for my life to end? And to think they almost had to cancel my surgery! They told me that they didn't have a donor but they found a healthy match . This man was on his last leg of life just like me but he had a healthy heart. My battle was a long and hard one I fought for my life and I kept saying to my self I deserve to be here.

I wasn't the only one that was grateful for my new lease on life. It was also the family of the person that gave his heart for me to live. After my surgery I was visited by the family they were happy even though they had just lost someone close to them, all I could see out of the corners of my eyes were tears rolling down their cheeks. They was tears of pure joy and also tears of sadness, but they knew this was what John wanted.

Now to think I have this complete stranger's heart pumping blood around my body keeping me alive, allowing me to run around with my friends. This second hand heart has given me a new lease on life and to think if it weren't for John, I wouldn't be walking down this dusty dirt road, my path now in my hands.