Grey and Purple

Ace entered his "partner's" bedroom, panting tiredly. He dropped to the floor in exhaustion.

Just another patrol in the city.

The usual.

The sun rises, his journey is over. He can leave the rest of the work to the "sunshine superheroes."

But the night... was his only.

Well, his and his partner's: the great Batman.

But now... it was his time to finally rest...

Or at least so he thought.

His collar started ringing repeatedly, making him growl in annoyance. "What does she want now...?" He muttered, irritated, as he put his mask and cape back on and went to new duty.

.
.
.

He soon got to the Dog Star Patrol spaceship, and looking around, he saw all of the other heroes there.

The iconic Superdog, along with his best friend Supercat, the recent member, Wonder Poodle, Hot Dog, Tail Terrier, Husky Tusky, Mammoth Mutt, Stretch-O-Mutt, BullDog and the leader of it all... Brainy Barker.

His expression hardened when he saw her.

An alien dog, yet she had the appearence of a Saluki of sparkling lavender fur and violet long ears, complimented by her lime green eyes and the white streak on her tuft.

"Bat-Hound."

"Barker."

They shot glares at each other.

They didn't exactly get along. Ever since the day Brainy had misjudged him for his lack of powers; even though he had proved her wrong, and she apologized in front of everyone... there were still signs of rivalry.

Now for different reasons, though.

Brainy didn't exactly understand Ace's way of a superhero. He always brought out this dark and serious aura... and her being a Psychic Hound could sense it miles away, which bothered her a lot and so she tried to avoid his presence as much as possible.

Her instincts told her she couldn't just trust him.

Ace saw Brainy as a high-minded, bossy dog with powers. Gee. Though he did respect her position as leader, the way she judged him straight from the start, and even though she didn't openly do it anymore, just by looking at her eyes, it felt as if she still did.

He knew he couldn't just trust someone like that.

Brainy left her strong gaze on him to focus on the others.

"Thank you for showing up", she said, irritating Streaky, who was sleepy as usual, Krypto beaming beside him, ironically, "Because an important problem has as well."

"Important? What kind, Brains?" Krypto asked, in that cheery voice of his that annoyed Ace so much.

"I think Wonder Poodle could explain it better to all of you than myself" she said, looking at Kiara, not too friendly.

Kiara looked admittedly nervous for a moment, before her voice filled with courage again, "Lately, I've had several strange sightings... the same shadow... over and over again, always leaving chaos behind it. Of course not as big as the thought villain."

"But it just haunts me thinking it may be him... again."

"Shadog...?" Krypto asked, frowning for once, "Why didn't you tell me, Kiara?"

"I... didn't want to worry you", she responded, gloomily, "or the Dog Star Patrol... if this turned out to be more strange paranoia from me..."

He put a paw on her shoulder, reassuringly, "You can trust us, Kiara."

"You must trust us," Brainy added, sternly.

Krypto nodded, "After all, better safe than sorry."

"I a-apologize," Wonder Poodle said, obviously trying not to stutter but failing.

"It's okay," he smiled softly, though Brainy seemed to retain the same expression, "We can deal with it now."

Kiara nodded, slowly looking up.

"What are we supposed to do then?" Bat-Hound asked, kind of tired of all this sentimental stuff and wanting to get to the main point.

"Since Wonder Poodle saw the sightings on Planet Earth, Metropolis more specifically, then that's where our job is".

She looked at everyone, commanding, "This could be an emergency, so we have to start immediately--".

"Ugh!" Both Bat-Hound (internally) and Streaky groaned, slumping their shoulders.

"Okay... ? So we have to start immediately".

"Me, Kiara and Streaky can go together" Krypto suggested.

Ace could notice Brainy didn't seem too happy about the choice though the others did.

"You go", she nodded, "Tail Terrier, Hot Dog and Mammoth Mutt".

She obliviously didn't know what trouble she was about to cause with that trio...

"Tusky Husky, BullDog, Stretch-O-Mutt".

Even more trouble...

"That's it, I believe" she said.

Bat-Hound sighed in relief.

Either she was forgetting him on purpose or whatever. He didn't care since now he could finally rest--

"What about Bat-Hound?" Asked Krypto, much to Ace's irritation "You were about to leave him out, Brains... and he's the great detective, just what we'll need on this mission".

"Oh, thanks for reminding me, Krypto" she smiled, innocently, "I must have wiped him out my memory", she laughed.

Bat-Hound just rolled his eyes.

"Okay, so Bat-Hound with...".

Then she must have realized there was nobody else left.

There was an awkward silence for a while before Kiara chirped, "What about you, Brainy? Why don't you two team up? You're strong enough to fend for yourselves".

Both Brainy and Ace flinched.

"And... I believe you would make a great pair".

"A great pair?! A great pair?!" The words rang in Ace's mind like the most ignorant words in all his life.

"Well... I don't think it would--" Brainy started, trying to fish herself out of this one.

"Yeah, Brains! I've never seen you and Ace interact much" Krypto chirped as well.

Brainy's face flushed red... Ace didn't know if from anger or embarrassment, maybe?

"You agree, Krypto?" Kiara asked.

"I certainly do, Kiara" he answered.

It was then the two knew they had no other option than to team up...

Just for this one.

-
Please remember to hit the little star if you enjoy! 🌟