Chapter 1: Ticks

A/N

This is a Harry Styles AU (Alternate Universe) None of the events are real and the people are simply used for the names and familiar faces. My ideas are my own and I can not help if they are similar to someone elses in your opinion. Vote and Comment to help my story grow! Thanks for reading, hope you enjoy.

.......

Chapter 1: Ticks

First day of the new school year.

To be honest, I don't mind school. Sure, I hate having to do shitloads of work, but I enjoy seeing and observing people. It probably sounds creepy, but I like watching how people act. In the lunch room last year, I would always watch Jaylen get all giggly and fix her hair (it ended up looking the same) every time Jake Drier walked by.

That's just one example.

I've found that humans have ticks, natural ticks that they do without noticing. Some people crack their knuckles, some touch their hair, some bit their lip. It's interesting to see, and see when they do it.

Most of the time it's when they're nervous.

Like me, right now. I'm nervous. Which is why the side of my bottom lip is pulled between my teeth and left hand resting at my side while my right holds my book. My thumb pulls back each of my fingers one by one, cracking my knuckles. That's my tick.

And Harry noticed.

We both stand in front of opposite sides of the steps leading up to the school, people passing by with no notice. Most were avoiding Harry, which I don't blame them. His tattoos are intimidating, as well as the scowl he constantly wears. But that's not Harry.

He's my protector, he says. And best friend. He's been my neighbor since birth. Our mothers are best friends, and his step father and my dad were as well, before my dad passed away.

So that's that.

Our eyes make contact and he glances down at my fingers for a moment before looking me in the eye and nodding his head once, telling me it's okay. My lips turn up in a small smile and his eyes lighten as he turns away and looks at the stairs before looking at me, silently telling me to go.

We have a half-spoken rule (meaning that Harry spoke and I just nodded and agreed, not caring) that he walks behind me on the way home and next to me during school so he can watch out for me. So far no one has really noticed, other than his friends, who I assume he explained it to. Same goes for classrooms and lunch. In hallways we tend to stay near each other, just a force of habit. We have every class together except study hall, at which time I tend to go to the library and he comes to check up on me. Same people in classes each year, just different teachers.

I slowly walk up the steps, tugging down my white tank top under my light grey cardigan, which was riding up up on my stomach, making it meet the top of my dark skinny jeans.

I push through the hallway, avoiding contact with people. Some people are just purely disgusting and I can't stand touching the sickos that go to this school. Not that everyone is a sicko, by there are quite a few.

I finally reach my locker, luckily it is the same every year, and put away my school supplies that I know I won't be needing today, such as a ruler, graph paper, etc. I smile at the picture of my mom and I for a moment before gently closing it, coming face to face with Danielle.

"Rose!" She shouts with a smile and throws her arms around my neck, hugging me tightly, after a second of shock, I wrap my arm around her and hug her back. "How've you been? I haven't seen you for like 3 weeks because of vacation." She lets me go and I stand up straighter, pulling my shirt down again, once again it had been riding up.