|~Chapter 1~|

~5 years ago~

Samantha's POV:

Mom parked the car right outside of Austin's house and I was excited to go to the park. Austin lived right across the school and the school had a huge play ground. It had two jungle gyms, lots of four-square lots, a basketball court, and a huge track with a field in the center. The best part was that it was open to the public after school. I had my rollerblades in hand and I ran up to the house's door and I rang the doorbell. Austin answered the door with a big grin and also had his rollerblades. Austin's sister came out behind him and she had her own pair of rollerblades. My brother was only four years old and stayed with my mom most of the time. We all quickly ran across the street and our moms walked together and chatted as we ran passed the gate and into the park. We buckled on our helmets and fastened our rollerblades. We slowly helped each other up and we sped one lap around the track before skating into the huge jungle gym. We roller skated around for a bit before we found a frisbee and removed our rollerblades to walk better. We tossed the frisbee around and me and Austin's sister would throw it back in forth so Austin had to run to get it. Austin's sister decided to go on the swings and she left me and Austin with the frisbee. We threw it back and forth and after a while, we started to throw it pretty high and far. Austin motioned me to throw it at him, but because of my super horrible aim, it went flying to the right and over the top of the jungle gym and landed right behind it on the ground. I didn't know that someone could be so mad about a crazy frisbee thrown by someone with terrible aim.

Austin POV:

I really don't know why but I was mad that Sam couldn't throw. I slowly marched up to her and she ran away and tried climbing up a huge slide that was part of the jungle gym but she failed and slid down, right in front of me. Without thinking, I punched her. I know. Me, Austin Richardson, punched a girl. Not the kind of punch you give to a friend as a playful gesture, but the kind of punch filled with rage. I punched Sam right in the stomach and I looked at her. I could see her suddenly just sit down and tears started to fill her eyes. She started crying and my sister came asking what happened. Sam couldn't say much but say how much her stomach hurt. My sister helped her up and helped walk her all the way to the field where Sam's and my mom where talking. Sam told her mom what happened as my mom listened along. My mom suddenly looked disappointed, she was disappointed because I has punched a girl, not just any girl, but my own best friend. She called me over as Sam sat on the ground, crying in her mom's arms. My mom gave me a stern talking, telling me that I shouldn't hurt girls, telling me how I had punched my best friend for a silly reason. Afterwards, Sam had looked sad the whole time, even when we went out to eat at our favorite place. While everyone ate happily, she ate slowly and looked at the ground for most of time. I started to realize how much punching her affected her mood.

For the next days of school, Sam didn't speak to me. She would avoid me and stopped playing four-square which was our absolute favorite game together. She sat on the benches by herself and ignored everyone around her. What have I done?!? For some reason, I didn't even think of apologizing. For the rest of 4th grade, Sam ignored me. She started to hang out with two girls in our class and they became her best friends. As 4th grade went on, our moms had spoken to each other. They decided to no longer hang out with each other because me and Sam could not get along. Near the end of this year, I found out that Sam was moving. She was going to move out of town and probably never going to come back. I realized how I met Sam in 2nd grade and all our memories were locked away when I had hurt her. Not just physically, but emotionally.

Samantha's POV:

On the last day of school, everyone signed my yearbook but I had passed Austin. I could no longer speak to him. The truth is, before he punched me, I actually had a little crush on him. However, my opinion completely changed on the day he hurt me. Everyone gave me a hug because I was going to leave in a week. I realized how I wouldn't be with my friends when we go to middle school. I said my final goodbyes before the school bell rang stating the end of the last day of school. I walked out the school and looked at it for the last time before my mom picked me up. We were going to stay in a hotel because we had packed all of our stuff a week before. My brother was still young and didn't care much about moving because he didn't go to school and made friends. Everything we needed was in luggages but I kept my stuff in my backpack. I had my stuffed tiger which I could never sleep without. I got in the car, which was a cab,  and looked outside, savoring the last couple minutes I would see the house that I had stayed in for my whole life. Once we had everything, the cab driver started the drive to the airport hotel. I watched the sign that stated that you were leaving the beautiful town of Rosewood Valley behind. "Goodbye Rosewood Valley, my home sweet home." I said as the sign disappeared in the distance. I sighed and fell asleep after staring outside the window.