sixteen

"Are you going to tell me where we're going?" Zayn asks when he sees they've definitely left their city. He turns his head towards Liam who's focused on the road but Zayn still pouts.

Liam chuckles and shakes his head, he reaches his hand out to curl their fingers together. He brings their clasped hands up, pressing a small kiss to the back of Zayn's hand. "I came to the conclusion that I haven't been a very good boyfriend to you because we've not been on one date together."

Zayn sucks in a breath and smiles towards the older man. "We've been on dates," Zayn tells him because they have and just because they haven't been out in public, their dates still count. Zayn still counts each and every one of them.

"Yeah but– I just want the chance to take you out properly, out in public because– because I'm not ashamed of you, yeah? I don't– I don't want you to think that, okay?"

Zayn watches the way Liam starts to frown and tightens his hold on Zayn's hand. "I don't– don't think that okay? I didn't mean to say that last time, Liam. I was just— I was jealous. I know our relationship can't be public right now. I get that and I'm okay with it because I love you and I just want to be with you."

Liam grins, "I love you too. I want to take you out though to a nice dinner away from– just away from everyone."

Zayn can't help but grin wide. He nods his head even though he knows Liam can't see him. "Well, it sounds great."

Liam shrugs his shoulders, "I'm not sure how great it'll all be if I'm honest, I'm just taking you out to dinner and– I don't know what else to be honest."

"I'm fine with whatever, Li. Just as long as I'm with you."

— — — —

"Now my ass is sore," Zayn whines, rubbing at his left ass cheek where he knows there will be a bruise tomorrow.

Liam smirks, his hand going down to squeeze Zayn's right ass cheek softly. "Shame, guess I'll have to leave your ass alone for tonight."

Zayn stops walking and pouts. "It doesn't hurt that bad, don't be dramatic."

Liam laughs and shakes his head. He puts his arm around Zayn and presses a kiss to the boy's temple.

After their dinner, they went ice skating at an indoor skating rink and Zayn knew he'd be bad at skating. He fell so many times in the beginning that he just made sure to keep a hand wrapped around Liam so he wouldn't fall. Liam was a natural and scared Zayn when he would speed up.

It had been an amazing time, just enjoying each other's company without having to hide anything. It was one of his favorite nights with Liam so far because they could properly enjoy their relationship without hiding it.

They had spent dinner talking about some of Liam's scariest moments with his job and some of the weirdest calls he's been on. Zayn even talked about how he's so glad that he's almost done with high school.

"I don't want to go back," Zayn mumbles, clutching on to Liam's coat as they reach Liam's car. "It's been the best night with you and I don't want to go back home."

Liam smiles down at him and raises a brow. "Who said anything about going home?"

Zayn's eyes widen and he bites his bottom lip in anticipation. "What else do you have planned, Mr. Payne?"

Liam just grins before leaning down and connecting their mouths together. His large hand goes to cradle Zayn's jaw, his thumb rubbing over his cheek soothingly. When he pulls away, he smirks at Zayn's blissed out look.