Chapter One

*Photo - Ivy*

Chapter 1;

Birth Name: Ivy Roxanne Taylor

Date of Birth: November 9th, 2018

Status: Abnormal

Special ability: Telekinesis (The power to move objects with your mind)

Date Captured: May 12th, 2029

     A slight breeze blew through my hair as I sat on the bench that was surrounded by a tall fence, securing what ever they called us; the contaminated, different, animals. It nibbled at me slowly but I didn’t care anymore. I began to hum a song that my mother always used to hum to me before I was taken away from her and my sisters. I was interrupted when someone whispered, “Boo.” Into my ear. At first it made me jump a little then I whipped my head around to see Hunter turn visible again and fall onto the ground laughing and Jace close behind her with a grin pulling at the corner of his mouth as he walked closer.

     “Hey Ivy.” He smiled as he sat beside me.

     “Hi.” I answered still looking out at the horizon line full of tall evergreen trees. It reminded me of home and how my sisters and I used to go hunting.

     “How are you, my lady?” Hunter giggled as she took a seat on my lap, wrapping her arm around my neck for support. Her red eyes stared into mine as I gathered all the words on my tongue.

     “I’m holding up. How about you, love?” I asked as I started to braid her bangs.

     “I’m good.” She smiled. “Missing the family though.” And then her smile faded away.

     “It’s going to be fine, love. You’ll see them soon enough.” I gave her a reassuring smile.

     “Yeah. What Ivy said.” Jace chuckled. He reached down and picked up a pebble and whipped it at the fence. We watched as electricity charged through it and then it quickly dropped with a thud.

     “Last week a girl tried ‘escaping’ by doing that.” A voice said behind us. We all turned our heads to see Spark – Jace’s sister- walk closer to us.

     “What happened to her?” Hunter asked.

     “Let’s just watch the pebble again, shall we?” Spark grinned before picking up another peddle and whipped it at the fence. Once again, electricity ran through the stone before it dropped to the ground. She walked over to us, her piercing yellow eyes on us. They were just like Jace’s, but his were less daring when he looked at you.

     “Oh…” Hunter let out a short fake laugh before turning to me with wide eyes.

     “Spark, would you leave us alone, please?” Jace asked as politely as he could.

     “Fine… I’ll leave you be with your girlfriends.” She snarled. She hopped off of the picnic table and jogged back to her group of friends.

     “Girlfriends?” Hunter said, turned at looked at him, one of her eyebrows raised.

     “She thinks that. Don’t worry.” He laughed and I laughed with him. The band around my wrist vibrated as a warning that my time was up for staying outside, and that I needed to come back in immediately before guards were sent out.

     “Time’s up.” I said pointing at my band.

     “NO…” Hunter overreacted, running up to me in slow motion and hugged me. All I could do was laugh.

     “Our hour is almost up too. We’ll be in shortly.” Jace said pointing to his band that counted down his time.

     “Number 419! Return to your block immediately!” A loud voice echoed through the yard. Silence waved over the crowd of people. Everyone’s eyes focused on me in the far corner.  

     “I’d better get going…” I said quietly before I padded through the grass with my bare feet. The pavement was hot underneath my toes as I ran to the entrance back to the building. I placed my finger print on the scanner that allowed me to enter the eerie quiet building.

     A beep sounded from the speaker located in the door frame before a voice recording was activated. "419. Your presence has been detected and recorded. Thank you." 

     I crept silently through the halls down to my block, stopping in the lounge where I saw a glimpse of fire engine red hair. I slowed my pace and walked up behind the person on the couch. Her long elf ears pricked back as if she was trying to identify who was walking closer to her. She spun around and stared at me with wide green eyes filled with confusion. I’ve seen her around the ward a couple times. She lives in my block, her cell chanted with some kind of force field because of her capability; to turn invisible.  She’s tried to escape it, but the force field repelled her and threw her back against the wall. Her blood curdling screams echoed through the halls the first few nights that she arrived in the ward. She was one of the youngest people here, and one of the strongest. But everyone had the same weakness; captivity.

      She looked frightened as if I was a guard to haul her back to her cell. Her green eyes trained on me as I stepped closer and took a seat on the floor across from where she sat. I smiled slightly at her, not wanting to scare her.

     “Hi, I’m Ivy.” I say quietly.

     “Hi. Iris.” She manages to say. Her eyes left their hold of mine and focused on her hands folded in her lap. She started to twirl her thumbs.

     “How are you?” I ask gently.

     “I’m fine.” She says so quietly it’s almost inaudible.

     “That’s good to hear.” I smile. She scratches the back of her neck. I never knew what she was trying to scratch away but then I remember everyone had a number tattooed on the back of their necks to indicate who they were. We weren’t called by our names. We were called by our numbers. Mine being 419. I place my palm over the number wanting desperately to simply peel it away, burn it off. Anything to be myself again, not just a number.