Fireworks Pt. 2

The first few pages in the sketchbook were from way back before we got separated. Danny was the one that bought me the sketchbook and I could tell that he appreciated that I had kept it. Originally the first page in the sketch book was a single drawing of us. To celebrate my new fancy sketchbook I drew a picture and me and the lovely man who got it for me. It was the last page in the sketchbook that I started to add more drawings to. All of the drawings on the first page involved Danny though. He smiled and took his time looking over the first page. 

"Sorry there are so many drawings of you." I said with a small nervous laugh. "I hope it doesn't seem creepy." 

Without looking up he shook his head. "It's nice to know that you were thinking of me too." He said with a smile. I blushed lightly at his comment.

I watched him go through my sketchbook with a faint smile on my face. His large hands treated each page like a frail flower petal, after all these years he remembered how important my sketchbooks have always been to me. I've had this one for a long time, each page was filled to the brim with art. Some drawings had drawings overlapping them or on top of them. There were loose pieces of paper folded or resting inside the sketchbook as well. Pieces of torn newspaper and flyers with sketches on them in ball point pen. The sketchbook had loose printer paper that I snatched from the library with sketches tucked into it as well.  The leather binding of the book was loose and a lot of pages were threatening to fall out of the sketchbook because of it. The sketchbook had outlived its life expectancy and it showed. 

Every time he came across a page of sad sketches he would frown slightly but never commented on it which I appreciated. I wasn't in the mood to describe some of the quotes and drawings that I had put into the sketchbook and I doubt he was in the mood to hear it. I nervously bit the inside of my cheek as he continued to look. "You've hardly changed." I smiled faintly. "Aside from the bird nest that's now on top of your head." I said with a giggle before sticking my tongue out at him. He jokingly made an annoyed face before giggling with me. 

It felt so nice to be able to laugh with him again. The way his beautiful brown eyes lit up when he smiled was all it took to make me happy. 

As he made it to the end of the sketchbook where all the loose paper was tucked into and he paused when he came across a newspaper from the date we got separated, the articles on the paper had nothing interesting, it was a slow news day but on it I had drawn the two of us the night we watched the fireworks together. He smiled fondly. "It's almost perfect." 

I tilted my head in confusion. "Ouch, you've never given me criticism before. What's with the 'almost'?" He pointed to the drawing of himself, sitting on the hood of the van staring up at the fireworks along side me. "I wasn't looking at the fireworks." I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion as I looked where he was pointing at the drawing. Before I could reply he added "I was looking at you." 

I could feel my cheeks turn bright red when he said that. I scratched the back of my head nervously and laughed softly. "I guess I never noticed." I couldn't hold back the smile he had just given me. "I kind of wish I had." I added quietly unsure of if he could even hear me.

"Other than that small detail your art is flawless as usual." Every time he called my art perfect I knew he was lying but the way he said it always felt so genuine. He hadn't changed at all over the years so despite our time apart it didn't feel like I needed to meet him again. He was the same man that protected me all those years ago, and dear god I had missed him. 

My thoughts drifted back to that night we watched the fireworks together.

I couldn't figure out quite what it was about him but he somehow made me feel safe enough to sit out and watch the fireworks. Normally a chorus of loud, heart stopping noises would give me an anxiety attack and result in me hiding under the covers like a child. Next to Danny though I had never felt more safe. 

The sound of the radio escaping through the drivers side car door that we had left open, the naked country side with fields spanning out for miles in all directions, the warmth of Danny beside me and the blanket that was draped over both of our shoulders; how could I be scared? Halfway though the fireworks show I leaned my head on Danny's shoulder without even thinking and the moment he put his arm around my shoulder I had never felt such genuine love. 

I closed my eyes for a moment and listened to every sound around me, the radio, the grass moving in the wind, the crickets and frogs, the fireworks, the van halen playing softly in the background from the classic rock station we left on in the car, and most importantly Danny's breathing and heartbeat. I focused on his warmth and soft touch. I couldn't tell if this is what love felt like but it had to have been close. 

 I looked at the drawing again then back at Danny, as he went to place it back into my sketchbook I gently grabbed his arm to stop him. He looked back at me with a confused look. "You should keep the drawing." I used to keep it to remember the night we spent in the countryside but I don't need it to do that anymore, I wasn't going to tell him that though.

"Are you sure?"

I nodded. Someday he would find the note inside of it, hidden inside the fold of the newspaper. I didn't mention it I wanted him to be able to find it on his own.

He smiled at me and nodded before gently folding the drawing and putting it into the large pocket on the right side of his jacket.

___________________________________________________

Authors Note: Oof ! Its been a few years since there has been an update so mad props to whoever reads this chapter. Sorry I haven't written in so long. I kinda fell out of love with writing since I'm not very good at it but I've wanted to start up again recently. So you can probably expect some more updates in the near future (assuming that you want them of course haha) <3

Also on Spotify the song by Radiator Hospital has gentle female vocals but I couldn't find that version on youtube :(