Part 7

Credit for "Sign Casting" term goes to DeGraphics Literature on fanfiction.net

-------------

"A hero is someone who understands the responsibility that comes with his freedom."

—Bob Dylan

-----------------

Chapter Seven:

"F-L-O-W-E-R. Flower."

"Flower."

"S-U-N-S-H-I-N-E. Sunshine."

"Sunshine."

"You're catching on quickly, Diana." Lotte said amazed as Akko was demonstrating signs for Diana to follow. Diana gave a smile.

"At first, I didn't quite understand, but once we practiced the alphabet, I found it easier." Diana told them, signing to Akko, "How do you say S-M-I-L-E?"

"Smile." Akko demonstrated the sign. She beamed when Diana signed to her, "Your smile is like sunshine." Her cheeks turned pink at the compliment, giggling. Diana flushed in shyness, but found she liked complimenting the girl.

Lotte, Diana, and Akko were having a signing session on the floor of the dorm room Sucy, Akko, and Lotte shared. Sucy was mediating on her bed while the other three were relaxing on the floorboards.

"I like it when Diana smiles." Akko signed, grinning. "You look a lot more at peace."

"What was the last sign?" Diana gestured.

"P-E-A-C-E. Peace." Akko finger spelled and repeated the sign. Diana felt herself warm from the compliment.

"Akko's right, Diana. You seem more relaxed." Lotte spoke and signed.

"I... it's been so long since I got to hang out and just talk to people without being expected to do things for them or uphold an image." Diana said. Akko looped an arm around her, grinning.

"One of us!" she cheered. Despite her loud tone, no one winced. They found her statement to be very heartfelt, and they agreed with her sentiment.

Sadly though, all things must come to an end.

"I should probably head back. Hannah and Barbara are probably wondering where I am." Diana rose up from the floor. Sucy cracked her eye open.

"I assume you'll want to keep it a secret you hung out with us?" she snarked. Nonetheless, she was surprised when Diana shook her head.

"I don't wish to hide my friendship with you three. If Hannah and Barbara or anyone else doesn't like it, I don't care what they think. I'm tired of trying to uphold an image that doesn't give me any benefits to myself." Diana explained with conviction. The other three witches smiled at her, proud she was making changes to help herself.

"Will you be back?" Akko signed. Diana gave her a gentle smile, finding her eagerness infectious.

"Yes. I want to learn more about this new form of magic using Sign." Diana told her, and Akko smiled.

"What should we call it? We should probably come up with a name." Sucy asked. Lotte looked pensive.

"How about 'Sign Casting'? It's simple and catchy." Lotte answered, beaming at them in excitement. The others nodded in approval, glee at their discovery of this new form of magic.

"Sounds good." Diana said and signed. With that, she departed their dorm room, leaving the three witches behind.

"Ah! I didn't realize it was that late." Lotte said, noticing the time. The sky outside was dark and the moon shined brightly in the night. The three of them hurriedly got changed into their pajamas and climbed into their beds. Sucy and Lotte set forth on going to sleep. Akko, however, took shelter under her covers, Birdy-san and her sharing a look before she stuck her tongue out in concentration.