Chapter 2

Kate

     "So Kate,  what brings you here?" Lucas asked starting a new conversation with me as all four of us skated down the town road.
     "Parents moved out cause of a job,  I decided to stay in Canada. Not much to it. " I simply answered. Lucas nodded in interest.
    "Aren't you too young to be living alone? You look very young" He continued to question me. I chuckled.
     "I'm 19, this is my first time living alone but I'm legal. " I answered. Josh led us through a small alley way that looked like it led to a small hang out space. "Where are we going?" I asked.
     "We are going to our secret spot. You're our new friend. Thought it would be a great place for an initiation." Josh answered with a joke he had slipped in. I smiled and whipped my short brown hair over my shoulder and sped up on my skateboard and kept up with Josh.
      We got to the end of the alleyway and it looked like a dead end.
      "Where do we go from here?" I questioned not seeing an exit to anywhere. I looked to Josh for an answer to which he responded by pointing up. I looked up and noticed a fire escape leading to a open window that was lit up with Christmas lights. I smiled and quickly put my skateboard under my arm.
      "Let's go!" I yelled as I jumped up and grabbed onto the ladder of the fire escape, letting it slide down. I swiveled my body as soon as the ladder hit the ground and started my way up it. The others seemed shocked at my actions but quickly laughed it off and climbed up as well. I guess they underestimated how much I'm actually out for adventure.
      We had sat in the small abandoned apartment for about 5 minutes before I got bored. The apartment was cool. It was filled with lights and huge beanbags and bongs and bowls. The floor was littered with old cans and what looked like old lyric sheets. I quickly sat up startling the others who were sitting peacefully on their phones.
     "Is this whole building abandoned?" I asked looking around.
      "Yeah.  It was an old apartment building but the lady couldn't afford it anymore and no one bought it. It's been here forever. " Lucas answered. This answer made me smile. I picked up my phone and pulled my small Bluetooth speaker out of a bag that I brought.
      "Then let's dance. " I said as my speaker started blaring out Rail Runs Over by Calpurnia. I set  my iPhone down and started jumping around and dancing like  nobody was watching. Lucas and his girlfriend got up and joined in my weird dancing. During the song I noticed that Josh wasn't dancing. I weirdly danced over to him as he laughed at my weird moves.
     "What are you doing?" He asked in between laughs.
     "Dancing with my new friend." I answered and grabbed his hand pulling him out of the bean bag chair.
     "No, I don't dance." He said attempting to sit back in the bean bag. I quickly grabbed his arm again, he stumbled and was now right up against me.
     "Who the fuck cares?" I whispered in his face. He smiled and started to join us.
      I think living here is going to be the best years of my life.