Chapter 35

A couple of days after my visit to the clinic, I was in the comfort of my room, watching random movies from the 90s when when I recieved a text message from Mali, telling me they were back from Paris. I put the movie on hold and decided to call him.

"What's up, Jade?" There was a hint of mischief to that simple question that made me suspicious.

"Nothing. Are you home or at Alex's?"

"I'm actually walking up to your front door as we speak. Mind coming to the door? Heard you have high tech security now." He chuckled.

I rolled my eyes. It wasn't funny. His parents must have told him. Everyone knew what had happened. I was the famous superstar who got arrested for trespassing her own home.

"Whatever." I muttered, grabbing something decent to wear. By that, I mean just pulling a cozy cardigan over my pyjamas.

Mali was harmless. For some reason, I couldn't be mad at him. He had been nice enough to keep my updated on Jacob's condition and I was grateful for that.

I ran into mom on my way downstairs but I kept walking like the she-devil was non-existent. I opened the door to find Mali standing outside with a huge smile on his face and a festive paper bag in one hand.

"Merry Christmas." He practically squealed like a little kid, pulling me in for a warm hug.

"Uh..." I patted his back, pretending it was awkward. It was actually nice to hug someone - even if he was my ex boyfriend's bestfriend.

"Mom spared some of her special coconut cream sandwiches and chocolate chip cookies."

He pulled away and raised the bag.

"I love your mom." I took a whiff of the freshly baked goodies, "I love her so much."

"Eww, Jade, control yourself." He said in mock disgust as I lead him to the kitchen.

When we got there, he leaned against the kitchen island and I looked for plates for the snack.

"How have you been doing?" He asked.

"Uh... don't you think it's a little too late to ask me that?" I tried to joke but he had that rare look of seriousness on his face.

"I mean it, Jade."

I pulled my lower lip between my teeth, avoiding eye contact with him. Why did he have to ask me that? I was on a quest to separate the cookies from the coconut cream sandwiches in an attempt to evade his question. He didn't let it slide so I told him.

"I went to the hospital a couple of days ago."  I turned around to set the plate on the table.

"Don't tell me you have an incurable disease too." He rubbed his forehead, looking genuinely displeased. For the first time since he walked into the house, I noticed how red his eyes were. He had dark circles under his eyes as well. He was exhausted.

"No, I'm not dying or anything."

He visibly flinched, causing me to wonder if Jacob was indeed dying.

"Hot choco or coffee?"

"Hot choco." He pursed his lips, all traces of his normally jovial side was completely gone by now. 

We were both silent as I made the two cups of hot chocolate. Afterwards, I joined him on the island, taking the nearest seat.

"How's he doing?"

"Not too bad, I guess. He had a surgery and now he walks around with a pacemaker but they said he'll be fine. As long as he quits smoking and doesn't stress himself too much. It's quite suprising how his lifestyle didn't off him." He sighed.