End of the Line

this chapter was a little rushed so im sorry
* * * *

The crew let out a last quiet cheer and immediately set back to work. Flint looked at you and ordered you to place the parcel in his cabin. You complied with his request, but when you stood in his cabin and looked around the room you've entered in a hundred times, you started to notice the items such as burnt flags from previous winnings, expensive goblets, jewel-studded cloaks and boots; priceless artifacts, etc--all waiting to be taken to Treasure Planet. Several Wooden chests held 100% gold pistols with a variety of bullets and uses; and swords with many markings and attached guns to them.

How long until Flint grows tired of stealing treasure? He looks old and you know by the look in his eyes that greed controls him. It has consumed him entirely that soon the only thing left behind after his death is the adulated memory of his thousand successes. No one will care to remember how truly awful a being he was. Only his treasure.

Just what exactly is in this box that Flint wanted so badly more than anything else--so much that he had to have spies to locate it. You never even knew Flint had spies. This made you become more wary of the crew members and anyone you met. It gave you anxiety just thinking of what Flint could do with the objects inside this box. You looked at the long box in your hands and examined it's smooth, glossy surface. It was large, about an arm's length. Could it be some sort of dagger? A pistol? 

No. Flint said the object was a source of power for the Aynes. Power for what? Certainly not there ship's engine.

With a furtive glance behind your shoulder, you closed the door, slipped off your uncomfortably hot coat, and then set the box on the circular table in the center of the room. A hand hovered hesitantly over the small keyhole. You picked the lock and, surprisingly, it opened. You'd expect a bunch of alchemists to secure a special object like this with their own strange magic.  

You threw open the lid, keeping a hand on it so it didn't hit the table and attract attention. You squinted until your eyes adjusted to the bright pinkish-red light, and then you saw what was inside. A beautiful jagged looking jem lay inside. It was the size of your palm and it was a blood red color. You could definitely feel some sort of power emanating from it.

And you could definitely see why a power-hungry man like Flint would want this. You don't know much about Alchemy, but you knew this jem could be capable of anything.

Your eyes lifted and you saw papers on a table desk against the wall. Flint had neglected to put the letters and maps from earlier, which was unlike himself because Flint was the neatest pirate you knew. You glanced at the closed door once more before closing the lid of the box and rushing over to the desk. You opened drawers and scanned through papers to see if there was anything about the object you you just saw. It must have been seriously important if Flint never even told you what it was for.

Your eyes searched furiously for any words that were relatable to this object. At last, you saw one line in a letter that briefly described the use of the crystal. It was almost exactly how Flint described the Aynes. How they were able to control space and time.
This new piece of information brought a feeling of terror in your veins. You couldn't stop thinking how this crystal shouldn't be in the hands of someone like Flint--or anybody.

Someone opened the door and you were partially relieved to see it was Billy Bones, Flint's first mate. His green scaly skin looked weathered from the sun and he was taller than even Flint and his pointy buck teeth made them both look like a sinister duo. Billy narrowed his eyes at you and glanced at the papers on the desk. Billy was never fond of you working for Flint or anyone for that matter. He absolutely hates it when people get into his business as well as Flint's. God knows how long the two of them  have known each other for. Billy was tough, but he never held the same level of evil as Flint. He was drunk and unreasonable, while Flint was not. Billy acted more like a typical pirate in the means of drinking while Flint in the means of plunder.