Chapter 2

I sat there, rubbing the table, thinking, while my family ate the bread I had worked so hard to get.

I can't believe someone saw it. My wrist. Oh my god I messed up, I messed up bad. What if he tells the Clicks. My family's lives along with mine would perish.

I can't let that happen. I just have to keep my head down and and wrist covered. Who was that kid anyway? What if he comes looking for me? What if he followed me home! Shit shit shit!

Ok Raven calm down, I order myself. It is not going to help anyone if I freak out. I need to keep my shit together. My fists clench, my nails imprinting into my skin, but quickly release as I rake them down my hair. I take a deep breath and let it out. I should make a plan in case I see him again. I should.....knock him out or try to brainwash him. I shake my head then, scolding myself. To rash. Then the lightbulb goes on in my head. I should just threaten slash him if he tells anyone. But who even knows if I will see him again? I mean he is one in a million people. He might just as willing to forget as I am. I sigh, throwing my arms in the air. Why does life have to be so complicated. Why do the clicks and echoes care that I don't have a Tempus?

You see, in my world, everyone has a Tempus,which counts down the time until you meet your true love. But I was born without one. My Gran said she doesn't know why and that I must keep it a secret or the Echoes (our government) and Clicks(our police) will hurt everyone I love. When I asked why the Echoes and the clicks would do such a thing she wouldn't answer she just sort of....Cried? I guess the Echoes don't like diversity. They would like every body to be the same and under their control. I mean why else wouldn't they let people have the Tempus removed after they found their soul mate. I bet you its like a tracking device or something.

"Honey, how did you get so much bread?" Gran asked snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Oh..uh I worked really hard today at work. So Mr. Ratali gave me a little extra." I stuttered,fiddling with my little piece of bread.

"I thought you said you had flyer dudity?" She questioned further. furrowing her eyebrows. Shit.

"Uh...yeah...I did but I um....I did this thing and he gave me extra money...yup" I answered, swallowing hard. After my last word Gran sighed and glanced back to her food. She knew. She knew I stole it. She hates when I steal, but she never really fusses about it. I think that's because she knows I have to do it.

I wasn't eating. I wanted Emma and Gran to have as much as possible. So I took this time to seep in my surroundings. I sat in my 'kitchen' or a small room with the back door, windows and a table. I lived in a one floor home. The outside is Beautiful. Sprinkled with any color flower you could imagine. It was my Grans happiness. She is always in that garden. Sometimes I think she loves it more than me. Sometimes.

As you begin to walk in the front door you reach the living room then after that you can walk in the hallway where there is four rooms one that grandma sleeps in, one for my sister, one for my older brother and then the kitchen. Than there are other houses about 10 yards apart. Made all the same but different colors.

I know what you're thinking where do I sleep? The answer is the attic. The old broken down attic. The smallest 'room' in the hole house. So small I couldn't even stand straight. But Gran didn't mind because she knew I did it for my sister. I could have taken my brothers old room but I have grown quite fond of my little room. Know one could bother me or talk to me. I know its mean but the only words that come out of my Grans mouth is usually orders so it's nice to have my own little space.

I'm guess I'm what you consider poor.

"Whats on your mind?" I swiftly broke from my thoughts and looked up to meet the gaze of my sister Emma.