Chapter Two

Q: What is the physiological response to humour?
A: Laughter.

Adira should be laughing at Louisa because she was right all along but out of respect she secretly gave her the I-told-you-so look.

After hours of being photographed wearing the different colours of the gemstones, with black gowns of different texture, the models were finally free to leave.

They would be wearing the same jewels in a week, in the same hall; which was the grand reception where The Stone collection was to launch. Adira would be in rubies, Brenda surprisingly in diamonds, Kit in emeralds and Alice; the brunette in sapphires.

Everything came out perfect as the photographer arranged the pictures on the contact sheet and look-book respectively. Adira had never seen herself look so fierce and sophisticated before. And though she knew she had the grace, she blamed it all on technology.

The models were the only people that were asked to leave. The photographers, creative directors, and journalist stuck around. Even the decorators and electricians were still roaming around the building. There were so many people around and the sight of all the amazing and famous people made the whole experience for them more fashion-ly.

The hall looked highly exquisite, even though there was so much more to be done. It was the ceiling that gave Adira life; it was engraved with images of babies with little wings playing instruments and holding little bows and arrows. The music would be classic and according to what Brenda had told her, there would be an orchestra at the corner of the chamber.

"An extremely boring music," Adira would say.

"How could people enjoy something that has no oomph to it?" Adira wondered aloud.

"It's a rich people thing," Brenda laughed and shook her head. "We clearly would not understand it."

"Obviously, what do we know?" Adira laughed as they held each other for mutual support.

The chamber would be in medieval- style, and lined with mirrors so the gemstones appear brighter. On each side of the ballroom were two pairs of octahedral shaped boxes, illuminated with colours that contrasted with that of the gemstones worn by the different models.

"It is a thing of art," Louisa would say with a proud smile, "Handmade heaven."

There were also four drone cameras flying about, objects which Adira and Brenda didn't fail to chase after or run away from when it came too close.

"Come, babe, come," Adira yelled dramatically, reaching for the drone camera. "I need you in my life. Come you sweet thing," Then, she ran when it came close to her, laughing away.

"Beautiful diamonds, beautiful stones. Its unique cut gives you a fine..."

"A brilliant," Brenda interrupted.

Adira smiled. "An incredible result that will absolutely take your breath away," she sang.

The fact that they had been chosen to work for the grand reopening of The Stone Collection was enough to make the ladies run mad. It was huge, so they heard.

"We should work for these people," Adira grinned.

"We are working for them."

"Yes, I know. But I mean we should work work for them. I think I would be such a great spokesman. Or a creative director. I mean, I could tell the rubies weren't fit for the redhead."

"I'm telling you," Brenda concurred. "The Stone Collection, what idiot came up with that name? I could do a lot better than that and I don't even know a thing about the fashion industry."

"Obviously, someone who lived in a cave." Adira smiled mischievously. "Someone names his stone collection The Stone. I keep wondering what was in his mind at that time." There was that impish expression again.

"The Rock would have been a better name."

The two ladies burst out laughing.

"Let's go home before someone hears us."            

Angel stood a moment, looking them over

She got rid of the stone-cold expression. She was smiling now, he noted. And laughing.

But at him.

He stood at the top of the stairs leading down to the vast hall where Adira and her friend continuously roasted him and his prestigious stone collection.

A chill of anger rushed through him as his grey eyes hardened. He had the urge to run his fingers down his dark hair. He didn't even know her yet and she was starting to annoy him.

Who did she think she was? Angel thought. The queen of New York?

How dare she talk about his name like that. The name that spoke nothing but power and wealth. A name that held history of greatness in the fashion industry. How dare she!

If he wasn't a bit interested in her, he would have embarrassed she and her little friend and have them laughed out of the hall without a penny for their tiny effort.

This Adira girl was extremely erotic, he would give her that but he didn't care about that at the moment. What he wanted to know was who she was or at least who she thought she was to laugh at him in that manner.

A mere model. Obviously not in supermodel bracket.

Evidently not in the famous and most respected supermodel bracket because she obviously was an amateur. So childish and such a goddamn parrot. Someone who was that high in their career wouldn't play about her damn job.

Women didn't do much for him lately and he didn't do much from them in return. He had forgotten what it was like for someone to look at you like they were lost, for him to look at someone like he was lost and he needed it that way.

Women didn't even want him that way. They were all around him for the money, the power, the fame. All he had to do was mention his name and they would all fall to his feet.

Angel shook his head, his thoughts flying back to Adira. A female model who didn't know anything about fashion.

When it came to talking in his new relationships - if that is what he would call it, he did most of it and sometimes all of it and not the women. Because he made sure without effort to evict blathers; which was what women these days effortlessly said the second their mouths opened. And Adira wasn't any different. He liked her better with her mouth closed.

But he was willing to give her a chance. He wanted to hear what this bright-eyed lady had to say when she realized who she spoke to.

Who he was.

Suddenly his face became hard as he began to walk down the stairs with a serene mentality.

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

If you feel a slight hate towards Angel right now, then I'm probably doing something right.

Thank you for reading. Don't forget to vote and comment before turning or flipping the page.

Thanks for reading once again.

Shine!