Discovered

I never would have thought that a normal day would change my life like it it did, but then again, nothing really had ever gone my way. My name is Avery. I have dirty blond hair and hazel eyes and slightly pointy ears. I was raised by my parents until I was six when they died in a fire. Then I was moved to West Pine School for Orphaned Girls.

I never really fit in there, even though I tried. I had no siblings and I was alone for most of the time, until I met Hailey. She had short cropped Chesnut brown hair and blue-green eyes. Hailey was like me in a lot of ways. She was new, her parents had just recently died in a fire, along with her younger sister. Ony later did I realize what a coincedence that was. We both hated sunny days and were restless at night. To myself, I reasoned that we hated sunny days because they were so happy, and how could we be happy when all our family disapeared? She came four years after I came when we were both eleven.

Two years later, we were still there, still best friends, and we still didn't fit in, bit we didn't mind as long as we had eachother. That's why, when Brooklyn suddenly showed up at school, I was slightly mistrustful of her. She had wavy raven black hair and peircing blue eyes. Everyone, even the teachers liked her immediately. That's why I was more than suspicious when she started hanging out with us. The losers. I didn't get it. One morning, however, I needed to find out why so grabbed her by the arm. "Brooke, we need to talk."

"Ow. What was that for?" She replied, slightly mockingly.

"We need to talk." I repeated.

"Fine, follow me." She sighed as she dragged me to the washroom. She looked around, to see if there was anyone, and since there wasn't, she pulled me in. " Avery, you're a vampire."

I stood there in shock, with my mouth opening and closing like a fish for a minute until I finally said " W-What? I c-cant be I..." I trailed of as I noticed the sly grin on Brooke's face. "You're lying! That makes sense. There's no way I-"

"I wasn't lying. I was just enjoying the look on your face. And anyway, you're just a fledgeling. So is Hailey."

"How come we didn't know? Shouldn't we have pointy teeth and black hair and..." Brooke was  smiling again. She seemed to find this all very funny.

"You are desended from ancient vampire families. You don't start to become  a vampire until you realize that you are one. And by the way, you will get pointy teeth, but the black hair is a stereotype, along with immortality. In fact, the most common way to kill a vampire, even if they're unrealized, is burning them."

Suddenly, everything made sense. My parents died in a fire, just because of their bloodline. It was so unfair. How could such a prejudice just go unnoticed? And who killed my parents?

As if answering my question, Brooke said in a low voice "It's the anti-vampires. They are terrible people whose life's work is to erase all vampires from earth. They know all the bloodlines, and will stop at nothing to end the era of the vampires. 1000 years ago, when vampires started being slaughtered, we created a world where we could live safely.  Unfortunately, many vampires fell in love with humans and moved back to earth to be with them. Those bloodlines are almost gone, thanks to the A. V., and I was sent by the academy to find you and Hailey. You are the last of the bloodlines left on earth. I must bring you back to my world."