Short Story #2: Unforgettable

Percy looked at his 17-year-old adopted daughter, Annabeth Jackson, and fought back tears. It had been 20 years since the original Annabeth Chase, his girlfriend, died when she took an arrow to her chest to save Percy. His daughter was now graduating from high school and Percy tried not to think of the night the first Annabeth died. He couldn't help it.

        It was dark outside and Gaea hadn't been defeated yet. Camp Jupiter and Camp Half Blood were fighting. Eventually, Gaea rose while they were in the middle of the war and they forgot about fighting each other, they all attcked Gaea. But during the war between the two camps, many lives were lost. Including Annabeth's. An arrow came flying towards Percy's chest. Annabeth screamed Percy's name, but he couldn't hear her over the sound of everybody else's shouts and screams. "Percy!" she screamed again, and he heard this time. It was too late, though.

        The arrow was inches from his chest. He was about to scream that he loved her, he wanted those to be his last words, but she jumped in front of him with unbelievable speed."Annabeth, no!" he shouted as loud as he possibly could. It was too late. Annbeth was lying in a large puddle of her own blood, her face white.

        "Y-you shouldn't have done that, Wisegirl," he said, tears streaming down his cheeks, splattering onto her dirt-covered face.

        "I-I had to, S-Seaweed Brain. I-I couldn't let you just die," she said as she started to sob.

        "We have to-" Percy started, but shakily lifted two fingers to his lips.

        "It's too late," she said, "but I want you to know this," she whispered, her voice shaky and hoarse. "I love you. I want you to unite the two camps and defeat Gaea. Don't do anything stupid," she tried to grin, but coughed up blood instead. Percy and Annabeth were both sobbing uncontrollably now. "Don't you dare sacrafice yourself for me.Just because I'm dead doesn't mean you should die, too," she said firmly. The pool of blood she was laying in was getting larger and larger. "I love you, and I always will."

        Percy noticed that the light was gradually leaving Annabeth's beautiful gray eyes. "I love you too," he choked.

        "Goodbye, Seaweed Brain," she whispered to him, and the light finally went out in her extraordinary gray eyes.

        "No, no, no! You can't go!" Percy exclaimed, even though he knew it was too late. "I love you. Goodbye," he said to her, crying even harder than before now.

        Then, Percy was brought back to reality. His daughter was graduating from high school. He couldn't cry at such an important event like this. Instead of crying, he did what a good father would do and watched his daughter recieve her graduation certificate with a proud feeling inside of him.

        "I love you, and always will," he said to his daughter, hoping that the ghost of Annabeth Chase heard it too.