Chapter Eight

Luis is tugging on my hand and pushing Ember forward by her shoulder. "Hurry you two!" He ushers desperately. "Hey! What's the big deal Luis? Why you being soft on Sabi and rough on me?" Ember exclaims. 

        He glares at her, "Miss Veraga and I have important information to discuss before the meeting. Now hurry!" His fingers attempt to lace between mine but I keep me hand hard. Just who does he think he is? 

        After he seats Ember in a simple plastic chair close to the back of the courtyard he pulls me behind a tree. I raise my eyebrow and step back as he pulls off his black jacket. "Here," he says, "take it. It'll be cold where you're going. I wish I could do something about it, but it’s not in my power. Now put it on and sit down, quickly." Before I could ask him anything he practically threw me into my seat. I stayed quiet. 

        The lady from before is now pacing the front of the group, scolding and cursing under her breath. "Is everybody here?" She impatiently asks Luis. He nods briskly, his eyes wide open. What's going on? I think to myself. Ember glances back at me. She's in the seat directly in front of me and not happy about the 'special treatment' I'm receiving from Luis. 

        "Candidates," the lady announces, "we have important news to share with you all." I glance around and my eyes meet Genevieve's. Her orbs contain no answers, she has no clue what is going on. She raises an eyebrow though and cocks her head to Luis. As if asking, 'What is going on between you two?' 

        I shrug, I don't even know. "There has been an incident," the lady continues. Her eyes are overwhelmed by mascara and eye liner but they glare at every single one of us. "Somebody has managed to bring something that we, well," she chuckled as if it could happen to anyone, but I can tell she is nervous, "let's just say we had an unwanted visitor." I freeze. Could it be...? No, they're too well prepared for that right? They wouldn't allow anything like this to happen. My fingers begin to dance across my lap while I attempt to maintain a straight face. 

        "We aren't sure of where this visitor had come from but you all will be secluded in a separate area for a couple days as a security procedure." I hear gasps everywhere, including my own lips; then almost immediately, nervous chatter. Logan is sitting next to me and he whispers in excitement, "Who do you think came in?" I attempt to look calm and coolly say, "How should I know? It's not like I have anybody left to see, so I don't think they came for me." Quickly realizing I shouldn't have put the attention on me I turn and face him, "What about you? Do you have someone who might want to visit you?" 

        His eyebrow had been cocked up but once I directed the question at him his face became serious. 

        "I don't want to talk about that." He says immediately. Before I can question him more the lady speaks up once more, "Candidates, follow Mr. Night and be prepared for chilly temperature. We are sorry for the inconvenience but it is standard procedure. Class will continue tomorrow at 8 am, wish you all a good nights sleep." 

        I grip the thin coat Luis had given me. It looks a bit weird with my dress but I honestly couldn't care less. I do receive odd looks from other candidates and officials though and I pretend to ignore it. Mr. Night, I mean, Luis guides us through a small white corridor that reminds me of the Safe House. Plain white and bright. I find that Genevieve is up ahead and feel a hand grip mine. I turn to face the person and find Ember. 

        She gives me a brave smile and I turn forward and continue walking. Luis opens a simple slide open door in the narrow corridor and lets us all walk in. The cold breeze hits me like a slap to the face and I instinctively pull the jacket around me tighter. 

        The floor is ashen white, and there are actually trees growing up from the tile floor! Trees, with branches bending in odd angles like a witch from the children's stories of before. There seems to be something like a small puffball falling from the ceiling. I look up, where is the ceiling? Dozens of small white puffballs fall around me, almost swallowing me alive. I thought of this as somewhat peaceful before but the white flakes seem to be laughing at me. Saying, "Haha! You're in trouble!" Before I can turn around and protest our new location a door slams shut. White as well. There is no way back.