Chapter 1: Comfort In A Cemetery

Life is a pretty funny thing isn’t it?

Nobody knows what the meaning of life is, but people did manage to come up with some theories.

In my opinion, I believe that life is just one big test. If you pass, you go to Heaven but if you fail you, go to hell.

But what I still don’t get is to why the test ends at the wrong time. Or to why the test ends before it even has begun. Or what about some people who have been taking the test for so long that they cannot wait for it to be over.

In this test, there are tough questions. Its either you deal with maturity and integrity, or you be a coward and run away.

It’s really your choice, and nobody can stop you from making that choice. Then again, it’s easier said than done, isn’t it?

You may all be confused and wondering that why the hell am I blabbing about life and how it’s a test. Well, to be honest I quite don’t know either.

 We all take what we have for granted and never realize how we are one second closer to death. But, you know what I am done thinking about death and life, because it’s giving me no satisfaction.

Starting tomorrow, I will be a changed person. I, Sandra Mickens will stop thinking and start enjoying my life.

I don’t care if I am incredibly numb right now inside. From now on, I am not going to spend my precious days lying on my bed listening to the same song over and over again.

I am going to go downstairs and have dinner with my mother after gosh knows how long.

After listening to “Numb” by Linkin Park for the hundredth time, I hurriedly jump out of bed and headed my way to the dining room.

When I finally made it, I saw my mother sitting there eating her bowl of pasta and tuna salad all by herself. She didn’t notice I was here until I called out her name.  She shifted her attention to me immediately, and was surprised by my presence.

My mother, Kayley Mickens was one of my idols. She was a single woman in her late thirties, who spent her days writing critically acclaimed romance novels. Her stories were not clichéd or sappy, but they were actually unique and beautifully crafted with care and hard work.

Her main source of inspiration was her friends, who have all suffered the good and not so good aspects of love and heartbreak.

But now, she has chosen to write about her recent divorce with my father. I know it will be a bestseller because it truly is heartbreaking and a lot of women could relate to it.

My mother and I made eye contact only for a few seconds, and during that time we just kept smiling at each other. We both wanted to say something, but thought it was best not ruin this moment.

I sat down at the chair infront of her, while she headed to the kitchen to get my plate. I also got served pasta and salad, and it was indeed just as good as she used to make it.

If you met my mother, you would be surprised to realize that she has a seventeen year old daughter. She did look really young for her age, which just signifies how beautiful she was. She had strawberry blonde hair with fair skin and emerald green eyes. She looked nothing like me as I inherited my father’s ebony coloured hair and ocean blue eyes.

“This is really good pasta.”  I finally started talking to her.

“Thank you honey, I am glad you enjoy it.” Her face lit up at what I just said.

This was followed by a few minutes of silence, until one of us decided to speak again.

After the divorce, I ended up living with my mom here in New York, whereas my dad worked in an office in California. I wasn’t mad at her or anyone after the divorce, because frankly who can blame them after what happened.