Kids Like Me - voices of the immigrant experience

Meet six teens who are from different part of the world. Now they live in cities and towns across the United States. The have families and friends in the U.S. Yet they remember and still observe some of the customs of their culture from "home". This is true whether thier native country is South Korea, Peru, French Guyana, Iraq, Somalia, of Ethiopia.

Q: Why did you come to the United States?

Eunji: My dad is in business school. We followed my dad.

Hewan: Education is a top priority in my family. My mother, older brother, and I are here for my education. Getting into medical school is my goal. My family supports this.

Liban: We are in the U.S to have a better life. We are now away from the wars. We can get a food education for me and my sister. We are also free to be ourselves.

Adib: We are here because of war in our home country.

Anne Rose: My parents are from Haiti. They moved to French Guyana where I was born. Now we are in U.S. We moved because my parents want a better and safer life for our family.

Manuel: I want a better education. I also want more opportunities to succeed in life. Unfortunately, my parents are still in Peru. They are working anf taking care of my eight-year-old brother. I live with my aunt.

Q: What is different about living in the United States?

Eunji: School rules in Korea are lot stricter than here. In Korea, we cannot have long hair or even colored hair clips.

Hewan: American families do not seem that close-knit. However, Ethiopian families are. Unlike American families, we are share our food from one big plate. The entire family sits around the table. Then we all eat out of one dish.

Liban: In Somalia, there is no bus transportation. Everyone walks. People have cars, but everyone is close by. The store is next door. Your uncle is next door.

Adib: My mom says she noticed that in the U.S. you do not have as many relatives living with you as we do in Iraq and Lebanon.

Another thing that is different is school. There are more classes in school in Iraq and Lebanon.

Also, children and teens have to be more polite than American kids are to adults. When you talk to your teacher or when you are called on in class, students must first stand. Then you can ask or respond to a question.

Anne Rose: There are many similarities between French Guyana and America.

Manuel: In Peru, family is the main value. Families always get together on weekends or at any holiday. The people in communities in Peru are close to each other than in the neighborhoods in U.S. The people in Peru don't have a lot of extra money to spend. So people are more helpful to each other. They try to find food at cheap prices.

Q: What advice do you have for people who move to the United States?

Eunji: Ask many questions. That way, you learn about the person you are talking to. You can also learn about American culture.

Hewan: Quickly make friends in order to learn the language and culture. With their help, it is easier to settle into a new country. Friends can also make it easier to adjust to the different custom and ideas.

Liban: Be yoursefl. That is the main thing. Do not put yoursefl down. Do not let anybody put you down. Work hard. Talk to help. Ask for help if you need it. Say what you want to say (other than bad words).

Adib: Play sports to meet new people. Make an effort to be social and talk with people in your classes. This is hard at first.

Anne Rose: Get involved in everything you can. The more things you get into, the more opportunities you have to learn, understand, and appreciate life.

Manuel: I have one piece of advice. Don't be lazy!