Fakenews

I really think this one is important no matter what age you are. You need to realize that "truth" has several definitions by nowadays  standards . I myself fell in the web of fakenews for several times, the consequences were  pure misconception and misinformation. To be a functioning member of society , or rather looking like you've got your shit together (which is in my opinion more important) knowing the news and not falling for fakenews is fundamentally. With this knowledge, you can self assured join a conversation about happenings around the World, and not emberass yourself when holding a presentation about something and falling for fakenews.

First of all: What the heck are fakenews?!

Fakenews are (surprise!) false news. We all know them since the US- Election 2016. One Candidate of the Election used the term fakenews for his campaign, with big success. Before this, fakenews were simply called ,,False news" or ,,wrong news". The oldest lore about fakenews dates back to the ancient egypts, where a Pharao went to battle with an enemy and lost. However, when he came home, he announced his victory over his enemy and let his Accountants write the story of his victory down. But this is not really important. Important is that you know that fakenews existed long before Trump or the Media we know today. It is only known so commonly around the World because Trump made it a political fighting-Term. The election also raised awareness for this spreading issue.

The different types of fakenews

As i said, the lines of Truth and False are blurred. So there are different types of fakenews.

1. False links

When f.e. headlines don't match the content of something. Whenever it be visuals or content in General. An example: Years ago in he german News, an interview of a high general of the syrian Army was shown. Turns out that it wasn't a General of the syrian Army, but a Commander of the palestinian milita ,,Liwa al-Quds". The show ,,Tagesschau" corrected the mistake the next day, saying the milita was integrated in the syrian Army. 

(Sadly i could only find a german source to this topic, but that source is also not ,,Free from sin". You can find all sources at the end of each Chapter.)

2. False Content

When  right content is told in a false context. Imagine you turn on the news and hear that Polar Bears have ultimately gone extinct. You're sh00k. Your little sister starts to cry as she clinges onto her stuffed Polar Bear. It was her dream to see one in real life (Imagine Zoos don't exist it's just an example). Turns out, they just got extinct in a certain Area.

In this case, the basic story is true. but the context is false, this turns the story into fakenews. And No, Polar bears haven't gone extinct (yet).

3. Manipulated Content

When true informations such as visuals etc. are manipulated to deceive the viewer.

f.e. : A clip of a polar bear in a Zoo is shown. it is said that this is a in the wilderness born one. This is true. The Newsspeaker goes on to say that this is, infact, the last Polar Bear on earth, and that you should go visit it. (Wrong, and you're manipulated to go to the Zoo.) Your sister won't stop screaming.

4. Satire and Parody

Nowadays there are many Satire and Parody pages. It is not their Intention to manipulate someone etc. . But there are alot of stupid people who can't see the difference between those and real news. 

f.e. : You try to comfort your sister as you grab the Remote to turn of the TV. As you're about to turn off the news, your gaze falls upon the logo of the TV station on the lower right corner. You suddenly realize that this is a satire channel. ,,Lilly look! It is satire! A Joke!" your sister gazes to the TV with her red eyes she earned from all the crying.