Moving?!

I was in my art room, painting a beautiful landscape I'd seen only in dreams when I heard my mom speak.

"Zelda, sweetheart? Can you come here a minute?" My mom asked.

"Okay, mom!" I answered, painting the final stroke.

I put the paintbrush down, and put my thumb on the corner, in my signature spot, and then left to go find my mom.

"Yeah, Ma?" I asked.

"I know you like your current school-"

"I don't, actually."

"Anyways, we're moving to Seabrook," She continued. "It's my alma mater, and I was in the cheer squad! Maybe you'll join it? It's a cheer school!"

I was disgusted immediately. "Mom, the cheer squad here bullies me, why would I join the bullies?!"

"Honey, they're just playing around!" Mom spoke up.

"No, they're not!" I yelled. "I'm glad we're moving, but I'm not gonna be a cheer leader."

"Wait, you said they bully you?" Mom asked, realizing what I said. "How long have they?"

"Since we moved here!" I said. "I'm not fully human, mom."

I rubbed my wrist, near where my z-band rested.

That's right, I'm half zombie. I'm proud of it! I've never met my dad, but I'm sure he had his reasons for leaving my mom.

"I'm so sorry, sweetie! If you had just told me they were bullying you, I would have helped you!" She patted my shoulder.

"It wouldn't help, mom," I said. "I'm the only halfling in the States. I'd be used for experiments if word went out that I'm just half Zombie."

"But, we're going to be living in Seabrook," Mom spoke up. "If you need to continue wearing your Z-band, we'll have to live in Zombietown there. We might accidentally run into your father, if he's still in Zombietown."

Ah! That's right! Dad's from there!

"Do we have our taser?" I asked her.

"Yes," She said. "If you take your Z-band off, you'll have to use it once every hour."

"I know, mom," I sighed. "And more if I get upset."

"You're sure about this?" Mom asked. "I don't want you to hurt yourself, sweetheart."

"I'd just say I dyed my hair and continually dye it," I smiled. "And my eye color runs in the family."

You see, my hair is green like a Zombie's, and my eyes are a pinkish red color. It's weird because I'm half Zombie, but as far as my mom says, my dad had brown eyes. Mom has blonde hair and green eyes.

"If that works for you, do it," Mom smiled.

"We're moving to Seabrook," I said, more like a question.

"Yes," Mom answered.

"When?"

"Well, I'll let you get through middle school first," she replied.