Chapter 1

I sneeze in the bookstore for the third time, getting glares from the readers and a tissue from my coworker, Abby. I mouth her a thank you and walk into the back room to blow my nose.

I worked at a mall bookstore, trying to pay off collage as much as I could. Since it was finally summer, I only had one year left of school before I could achieve whatever was left of my dreams.

I toss out the tissue and go back to sorting the new arrivals, moving a loose auburn hair from my face and behind my ear. I'm terrible at putting in ponytails, but this one seems to stay, for now.

A bout of thunder rolls through the mall after a flash of lightning. The storm was getting closer, but it wasn't the first thing on my mind.

A few nights ago, something weird happened. Other than the large blackout, I saw something that looked like orange flames circling in the sky. When I asked other people, they saw nothing. I tried to ignore it, but something wasn't right.

I shake it off again and pick up a heavy book, putting it up in the New Arrivals case at the front. Abby sells a book and hands me an envelope.

"Your shifts over, girl. I owe you this." She states.

"Already? It feels like it just started." I mumble, taking the money. I walk into the back and grab my bag, slinging it over my shoulder and walking out the store. I loved my job, but it seems that the books just get dustier and dustier each day.

My shoes click as I walk, lost in thought.

So what if it was some sort of fire show?

But why couldn't anyone else see it?

Maybe it was extraterrestrial?

It's aliens, and I'm their chosen one!

I smile to myself but don't see the man in front of me until I bump into him, feel the soothing texture of a sweatshirt.

"I'm so sorry!" I exclaim, stepping back as the few things in his hand go flying. An older gentleman starts to pick them up but stops when the guy I bumped into and I lean down to pick things up also.

"It's fine." The guy covers and I stop, my hand over a few papers and a long object.

That voice sounds familiar somehow.

We both look up and make eye contact, recognition spreading across both of our faces.

"Dave?" I ask.

"Seraphina?" He asks.

"Please, just Sera." I insist.

"Sorry." He mumbles, standing up. The other gentleman looks impatient.

"How have you been?" I ask, my hands full of his papers and I hand them to him.

"I've been good, better. You've changed." He comments.

"Yeah, a lot of things happen when you take off your braces, and get contacts." I reply.

"So, how's life?" He asks.

"Uh, it's okay. I'm sorry I ran into you, I was just in my thoughts." I explain.

"No big deal, it happens to me all the time, except I hit objects instead." He says and I smile.

"Ouch. Well, I'll see you around." I say, about to walk away.

"Wait. Um, do you maybe want to get together sometime?" He asks. I feel my cheeks blush a bit, but I try to hold it down. I wasn't used to guys asking me anything other than if I had any sales today, or where the bathroom was. This was new, especially since we used to be friends in school. I stood by him, even when everyone made fun of him that one day.