Chapter 2

His hair fought roughly against the wind and he felt his palm tightening around the helm. Since the moment the book was stolen, the weather had changed rapidly in Syracuse. Thankfully, he was finally leaving this place. Bloody Bealfire and bloody book. He shouldn't have gone after it. If he'd know the events that would follow, he surely wouldn't. But then, it was beautiful. The most beautiful treasure in all the realms. One's eyes could get lost in its depth for hours or years and he wouldn't even complain. Yeah, this day was full of bad decisions but seeing the book for the first time had made justice for it. This and...

"So, how exactly do we get to Tartarus?"

David's voice cut through his thoughts and for a brief moment he was lost for words. He shook his head and cleared his throat immediately, his grin coming back to its original place. "Tartarus? People get killed there, Dave." He joked and walked past him. "Where are we going then?" He didn't need to look back to his first mate to know that he was frowning. He smiled at the thought and sighed loudly. "Ahhh, Fiji of course!" He declared, sounded proud of his idea. However, when David said nothing, he actually had to drift his gaze back to him to check for his reaction.

"Seriously?" The man said scoldingly. "He's your friend." He added while leaning knowingly towards his captain.

"You sound like my mother." Hook warned and faked a disgusted grimace. "And since when do you team up with the royals?" This time his voice was proof of true disgust.

"You know I hate them as much as you do, Killian. Bloody hell, I even abandoned my own kingdom because of it. But that's different."

"Different from running away from your family?" Hook asked sarcastically and looked away again.

"I left because I hated the way my father treated his Kingdom. He was devious and most of his missions were secret; even his own men didn't know what they were up to. You know what it cost them. You know what it cost you! Having him as a father was not a reason to forget my morals." His outburst was sudden, even Killian hadn't expected it. But it only made things worse as anger filled his veins at the memory of his naval days. "And that's exactly why we're not going to cooperate with them. We won't make the same mistakes." He hissed and approached the helm again in need of something to distract himself.

"Bealfire is not my father" David replied calmly and waited. Killian's hook hit hard against the wood, destroying its color. "Okay then." He said quickly. "I'll tell the crew that we're not going after the book and if anyone else agrees with you I'll change my mind."

The other man had no chance to speak before the captain shouted again, this time getting everyone's attention. "Hey, mates!" He addressed them with less enthusiasm than he'd like to. "We're heading to Fiji!" The crew cheered bringing back his smile as he turned to his first mate. He lifted his shoulders innocently and opened his arms in surrender. "Look at them. What kind of Captain would I be if I didn't keep my men happy?!" He commended and headed below deck.

* * *

He was going back to his quarters when a familiar voice got his attention. What the hell? His steps changed direction and he walked quickly towards the cabin he had heard the voice coming from. He pushed the door open just a bit and looked inside.

"Oh, come on. There's no chance this is real." The woman said as she was examining an old skeleton. Her fingers traveled up its body and tried to touch a point of it in order to give it a better look. When the point broke and fell to the ground she pulled back with a soft "Oh!" and headed to another one. Blonde hair waved harmonically around her back and hid her face from his view. "Venezia." He heard her say in awe and he smiled at the recognition. The memory of stealing that specific loot brought back his confidence and made him relax before he fully opened the door and walked inside.