Prologue

That high school year, Will would do the all-time weirdest thing he had ever done, and that was saying something. Somehow, it surpassed all his childhood cringe-worthy memories and all the times he made mistakes. But this━going to a preppy school in the middle of a ━seemed to be the weirdest.

"It's a good school," his mother insisted, looking over his shoulder as he looked the institution up. "They're known for their programs and their academics. You'll love it."

"Have you checked the area around it?" Will questioned. "I looked up the city and a PDF of a 'gang territory map' came up."

"Will," she sighed and sunk into the chair beside him. "It's a good school that happens to be in a bad area. Don't you want to be a doctor?"

"Well, yes-"

"And we have to move. Don't you want your father to keep his job?"

Will sighed. "Yes, but-"

"And it's right next to the hospital you'll be interning at." his mother explained. "They're supposed to be really busy so you'll get a lot of work in."

"I wonder why they're so busy." Will replied sarcastically. "I bet they get a lot of gunshots, too."

"You're going." his mother stated, standing up. "Now, finish packing. We're leaving tomorrow."

"What state is this in again?" Will called out to his mother's retreating form.

"Ohio," she replied.

Will frowned. "Where's that?"

She shook her head in exasperation before leaving his room, leaving him alone in the piles of boxes and medical books. Why did his dad have to get this stupid job in the first place? He was happy where he was in LA, with his friends and his schooling. He had his own car and his license and seemed to have a good life.

But he had one secret, one that he'd take with him to Ohio.