Heard.

From where I stood, I could see the hotel employee stare wide-eyed at the blind man. 

For a moment, silence stretched between all three of us as it grew eerier by the second.

Somehow, out of reasons unknown to me, the man hadn't yet spoken and accused me of being a burglar.

In a way, I wanted him to.

I wanted him to scream and shout and point out my existence. 

I wanted for the employee to agree with him.

I wanted something, some movement, some bit of attention but it didn't happen.

I wanted confirmation that I was still here.

Frozen in place, I held my breath as the quiet continued to lay itself through the room until finally, the newcomer spoke. "Mister Brown?"

He didn't answer.

"You said there was someone in your room?"

More silence before Mister Brown finally nodded, seemingly hesitant as he made room for the employee.

"I can hear them. Him. He's real' loud but won't leave."

The employee made a noise of confusion "Uuuuuh?" I could see him look around before he made is way into the suite.

Past Mister Brown, his eyes scanned the place, passed over me, checked the other rooms and then once more, he came back to the living room.

He didn't look at me; hadn't even given any sign of having noticed me.

Something inside my chest fell apart.

I didn't know why but once more disappointment gripped my heart and grief threatened to choke me.

There was nothing I had wished for but to be seen; for this to be a nightmare out of which I could wake up once somebody would notice me but even then nothing had happened.

Grinding my teeth, I moved slowly as my arms came up to hug myself.

And against all odds, I held it together and stayed mute.

I didn't cry, even though I wanted to.

"There is no one here?" I heard the employee say, his voice distant as he made his way out of the suite. "Maybe you heard someone next door on the phone?"

I didn't like him; didn't like how dismissive he sounded as he marched past a shellshocked and dazed looking Mister Brown. Who treats a blind man with such disrespect?

And I wanted to tell him as much but as I parted my lips I could feel my tongue lay heavy in my mouth. It was dry.

So instead, I continued to stay mum and as soon as the door closed, leaving me with the blind guy, I couldn't help myself but collapse on the couch once more.

I let out a breath. It made a noise. Mister Brown immediately turned his head in my direction.

"What?",  he said and on his face played a dance of fear and confusion.

He waited for something and although we waited for different things, I waited as well.

"Hello?" Mister Brown still stood facing in my direction and slowly but surely he made his way over to the couch. "You're still here, aren't you?"

"Yes." My voice was weak, the words felt sheepish as they crawled past clenched teeth but alas, I felt compelled to answer the man.

All my life I had been ignored.