Chapter 1

"Usalana, Usalana!, get ya black ass up lil girl" shouted her mother. Usalana got up, went to the shower, took a bath, brushed her teeth and combed her natural black hair. While admiring her black beauty in the mirror her mum came in and grabbed her arm firmly. "Its time for you to fit in, into this world where everyone has long and soft silky hair, so I'm going to straighten your hair, so you'll now become more pretty" exclaimed her mother. Usalana turned around looking at her mum with tears in her eyes, she doesn't want her hair to be straightened, but she knows darn well that she cant talk back to her mum. But she did. "MUM! STOP!, why do I have to fit in into this world where they treat us like were nothing, just because of our skin, I dont want my hair to be straight to look pretty, I am beautiful with my natural hair" said Usalana as tears flow from her eyes. Her mother angrily slapped her, causing Usalana to fall to the ground. She dragged her into the living room, grabbed her belt and abused her all about her body. Her mother wanted to fit in, into the world, she didnt care if it took away their culture, she always believed that its going to be like this forever and they'll never be hope for black people. So she wanted to be them so they can accept her. She tied up Usalana on the chair and straightened her hair, Usalana cried and cried and kept saying No. But her mum didn't care. "I will never forgive you for this, you are taking away my culture, why do I have to be someone I AM NOT! if you want me to act like someone else, I will start doing that. But trust me you won't like it. Its something about us black kids, we dont act like every other race, theres something unique about us". Said Usalana in high passion. "AND WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?!" exclaimed her mother. "Do you see me slamming the door on you? Do you see me calling you a bitch? Do you see me calling you a slut? Do you ever see me disrespecting you, like you're not my mum? We know our place and we know not to go there and that you're valuable to us" said Usalana.
Her mother was astonished, she knew she was talking to the truth, but she didnt wanted to look weak. She was frustrated, she ran for the pressing comb and stood over Usalana and place the comb on her arm, burning her.......to be continued