The New Life

The storm left a beautiful day in its wake. The wedding was small in attendance - merely the bride and groom, God, and any woodland creatures scurrying by or stopping to eavesdrop. Liesel picked wildflowers and wove them into a crown. Kai donned his best shirt. In front of the tree that would become their home, they swore oaths to each other. Gentle breezes lifted their words up to the heavens. A leather tool strap curved round their joined hands. Rings were slid into place. One chaste kiss was shared and then Malachi Ferris and Ilsa-Liesel Bligh swore to love each other until death parted them.

Kai fashioned a bed from soft leaves and covered it with Liesel's skirts. He laid her down upon it and whispered promises in her ear as he tenderly consummated their marriage.

Liesel inhaled sharply, causing Kai to pause and ask, "Am I hurtin' ya?"

"A little, but don't stop." She wrapped her arms around him and drew him closer, matching her motions to his. It ended shortly with Kai giving a gasp and a pleasant sigh as he rolled off of her. She intertwined her fingers with his, feeling her breathing slow and give way to a blissful calm. The warmth of their new intimacy bloomed within Liesel. She felt lightness like she'd never known before. "Are you really going to build me a proper house?"

"I will," he answered. "A fine house like none you've ever seen. I swear it."

~***~

Board by board, they dismantled the ramshackle cottage and carried all salvageable materials to the giant tree which was to be their new home. They were delighted to find several odd plates and cups, a tin teapot, a dirty blanket, and a long length of rope among the debris. Kai immediately set to work inspecting each plank and nail that they'd collected and separating what was usable from the rubbish. By the end of his task, he was dismayed to find the rubbish pile double the size of the other. He dusted off his hands and said, "Oh well, at least it's a start." He set to work sawing rough ends from planks.

Liesel had stood back watching him curse as he discarded too many precious nails into the rubbish pile. Back in Boscastle, construction was men's work. But here? She supposed new rules could be made. Stealing the hammer from among the other tools, she rifled through the rubbish pile and retrieved every bent nail that she could find. One hour and a few sore fingers later, she displayed her work to Kai with pride.

"Where'd you get those?" he asked, astonished.

"I fixed them."

He gave a low whistle as he appreciatively passed each through his fingers for inspection. "Hell, birdie, I didn't know you had that in you." The corner of his mouth tugged upward. "You never let on how talented you are."

Feeling a familiar burn spread through her, Liesel pushed against his chest. She put several steps between them until the heat faded from her cheeks. "Well, a girl's got to keep some of her secrets."

Kai pulled her to him and planted a peck on her forehead. In a low voice, he told her, "That's true, but mark my words - one day I intend to find out each one of them." Before she could give any counter, he kissed her full on the mouth. Once her equilibrium returned, she regarded him coyly and said, "What else do you need help with?"

He regarded the pile of raw materials and the empty tree. "Well," he said with a smile. "Everything. You can start with those planks there. Parts of 'em are rotten. " He rapped his knuckles against the wood in front of him. It produced a sharp, dense sound, the wood wholly unaffected by his hand. "That's a good sound. Means it's solid. Usable. But this..." He moved to another plank. The thud of his fingers sounded hollow against it. He grabbed its edge and a chunk broke off in his hand. "Rot. Mark the bad spots on those, and I'll cut 'em off."