Chapter Two

NICO

One Year Later...

Nicoletta was sure she was going to bash in the head of her three-year-term boyfriend if he flushed the toilet on her one more time while she was in the shower. She enjoyed wakening her senses in the morning with lavender shampoo and the streams of water as the flushed over the surface of her face. Only for the spray of crisp coolness on her to become a torrid of lava. She sputtered in the heat of the water, alarm coursing through her recently sleep-induced body.

One of her hands slapped up to her eyes, her fingers and knuckles taking on the onslaught of fire water instead of the sensitive skin on her cheeks and eyes. Her other hand fumbled around, the panic and pain enough to make her actually forget where the faucet was to shut off the damn water. Hobbling and screeching about while gallons of water poured onto of her head, scorching her scalp, Nico finally felt the nozzle and shut it off with a force of willpower.

In second, the army of a temperature far too warm for her liking drained down the shower. Her skin, now a steaming, red, blotchy mess of irritation.

And all she could hear in the background, was the sound of the flushing toilet.

Nico threw open the shower door, the glass entrance wobbling on its wheels from the power of her push.

"NICK!"

From the half bathroom situated at the very end of their five hundred square foot apartment, Nico heard cursing. Surprised, panicked cursing. She squinted her eyes at the sound and aggressively plucked a towel from the rack. He knew what was coming.

Dripping wet from head to toe, Nico found her boyfriend in their kitchen, his hands up in the air as a metaphorical white flag. His brown hair was in a mess on the top of his head, curls falling and tumbling over another from his recent sleep. From the sleep in his blue eyes, she guessed Nick hadn't been awake for longer than five minutes. Which meant he had flushed the toilet on her out of weary, in-and-out sleep. Again.

Despite the pool of now cool water pooling at her feet, Nico refused to move. Her eyes were trained on his, blue-on-blue confrontation.

"Nico," She flung herself at Nick and wrapped her legs around his waist. Her arms took his neck into a choke hold, all the while a war cry sounding from her lips. Nick's eyes widened upon attack, a strangled gagging noise arising from his restricted airflow. In seconds, Nico had moved from her position in front of him, to his back.

She looked fluid in her transfer, like a monkey climbing and encircling a tree. Had Nick not known about her years of gymnastics and martials arts training, he would have done a lot more than stood there as she advanced her attack.

Nico's hold on his neck was not tight in anyway that was threatening to his life. She had been with the guy for three years, known him for seven, it took a lot more than him flushing the toilet on her on seven different occasions for her to lose it. Although an eighth time might do the trick.

Nick's throat bobbed from where it rested in the inner corner of her elbow. Nico loosened her hold even more and pressed her lips to his ears.

"If you set me on fire one more time, Nick Wilder James, I will roast you for all you got. Literally."

Nick backed up, his hands still wavering the air. Nico felt her bare butt hit the counter and realized her towel had been discarded midst her battle of revenge. She mentally shrugged, it wasn't anything the boy hadn't seen before.

"Ni...Ni...C-a-h... Co... Can... Can't... Breathe." Nick suddenly slumped forward, the only thing holding his upper body from folding in on itself and slamming into the ground was the elbow of hers still around his neck. Another bout of panic swept through her. Had she accidently tightened it when her mind had drifted, if only for a moment?

"Oh shit, oh shit. Nick, hey, can you hear me?" Her pulse quickened as she struggled to turn him around from her perch on the counter. If she moved, both of them would go crashing down at his loss of control. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to-."

The words were taken from her lips as Nick suddenly straightened back to his full six-foot five height. He turned dangerously fast to peck her on the lips. And when he pulled away from their brief encountered, she could see the hint of a smirk pulling at the corner of his mouth.

"All is forgiven my love." Nick flowed into the bow like that of an actor who had just succeeded in putting on the best act of his life. Nico rolled her eyes, realizing his "passing out" had been a ruse to get her to apologize. She watched as his lean back strolled away from her, her eyes drifting down to where his sweatpants lowered and lowered farther down his hips with each step he took. Nico pulled her bottom lip into her mouth to keep from moaning lowly at the delicious man before her.

Nick was an attractive man, pf, that was obvious. From his deep, brown curls, to his pools of blue, dark as the deepest parts of the ocean. His broad shoulders led down to an undefined, but firm, stomach. And from there, down to –

"Nico. Nico. N-i-c-o!" Nico's attention snapped up to those eyes she had been just daydreaming about, her lip still clamped between her teeth.

"Hmmm?" She hummed as Nick's eyes brimmed with amusement. She noticed two steaming mugs in his hands. She also noticed as he set them down and walked slowly back to her and placed himself in between her legs.

"I was going to ask if you wanted some sugar in your coffee, but I'm going to take a guess judging by how you're biting your lip in that sexy way you do, that that is the farthest thing from your mind." Nick's large hands replaced the cold surface of the counter biting into her bottom, using his strength to pull her into him until her legs were wrapped tightly around his hips. Her uncovered body shivered from it's flushed position against him.

"And since you're so prepared." Nick's eyes flashed, the emotion in the color making it clear he was referring to her lack of clothing. His fingers dug into the flesh on her bottom.

Nico smiled, tangling her fingers into the thick curls at the back of his neck and pulling his lips firmly to hers.

Mmm, yes, now this was how she liked to wake up.