Creating the Map

Your starting point will all depend on how much your author has already completed. Do they have a finished plot outline and character summary list? Or do they only have a 'good idea' and a lot of enthusiasm? 

1. Determine how far along they are.

The working style of your author is of tantamount importance, as well as what they are writing their story for. (A contest? To finally get the idea out of their head? Attention? Love and adoration?)  

2. Determine how  your author prefers to work and what their REAL personal goal with it is. 

Once that's done, you'll need a work schedule. Depending on their preferences (see: Types of Authors) you should agree on a 'check-in' to see how they are doing, and a 'turn-in', to discuss or read what they've written. 

3. Create a realistic working schedule both of you can keep. Include both friendly 'hellos' as well as 'down-to-business' time. 

Once you have a handle on where your author is with their work ,then find the weak, or unfinished, parts and start there. 

4. Start asking questions about the weak, or missing, pieces. 

Start doing research or brainstorming ideas with your author and have them begin or continue writing. 

5. Brainstorm and get your author writing.

From that point on, it's mostly helping your author through their plot and story problems, offering advice and extra info when needed, giving encouragement and making sure they keep their eyes focused on the road ahead