And We Risk Everything

Hooves pounded against the dirt path underneath them, kicking up dust and covering the large, black carriage that trailed behind, creaking as its wheels worked to pull it along. The ride was not sturdy, for every bump caused the carriage to rock, but it was certainly smoother than taking a horse and less disorienting than magicking to the location.

The Black Knight, seated in that very carriage, kept her green eyes fixated on the moving world outside through the door's window, watching as they journeyed closer to the forthcoming era.

"Have you ever dreamt of the forest, my knight?"

The question spoken from the tongue of a familiar face drew Emma's attention away from the passing forest. "Pardon?" Her brows sunk as she landed herself back into reality, eyes falling to the Queen who sat across from her with hands placed neatly on her lap.

"While you were locked away in your castle. You have told me that you were disallowed from leaving the boundaries of it." She tilted her head and Emma thought her neck would snap from the weight of her hair piled atop it.

Emma garnered her attention to the expanse of green and the village in the distance as they broke out of the forest. It was odd that they hadn't passed through the city, but then again, the Evil Queen never quite liked visiting the settlements under her liege. "I used to sit by my window as a girl and look out into the forest. I remember catching the scent on the horses – the earth, the pine, the fresh air..."

She closed her eyes for a brief moment, letting the world slip away into darkness and memories, and smiled now that she had been able to visit the forest herself. The scents of it was always something she enjoyed; it smelled of freedom, of adventure, of some life that she only dreamt that she could have.

"I used to dream what it would be like. Snow had told me tales of her adventures, though she attempted to make them sound terrible, but I knew... They always intrigued me." That smile on her pale pink lips widened, stretching her face and when she opened her eyes, she saw the smile in the Queen's eyes, though her face remained quiet of emotion. "Have you? I've always noticed that you tend to seek the window when things trouble you."

Regina's scarlet lips pressed together, her eyes – golden in the sun – shimmered slightly as she dipped her head. "I look upon it and wish I could fly above the treetops, away from everything. Be careless." She shook her head. "But, such is life, my knight. We simply cannot escape our duties. They are sewn into us and keep us grounded."

"I know. Unfortunate that we weren't born swans." She offered a wavering smile and looked to the village of Dawnwood as they had passed through. The people kept their distance from the carriage that they recognized as the Queen's and a few of their mouths had opened, but Emma couldn't make out their singular words as they mingled, though the tone rang hatred in the air.

After they passed from the village, Regina spoke, her voice spiteful. "And, here I am, hated for breathing."

"Have you ever truly listened to your people?" Emma nearly wanted to shove those words back into her mouth, but she held to her estranged confidence. "And their needs?"

"I have people who take care of that for me. What need have I?"

"It is your duty as Queen, Regina," she said, brow furrowing slightly. "From what I have seen, the people are poor and starving for lack of work and food. And now that most of the able-bodied men and women have been enlisted in your army, things are taking a sharp turn into the dirt. Is this truly what you want, Regina, for your kingdom to perish because of, what?"

"They do not care for me, so why should I care for them?" she hissed, fingers digging into the fabric of her cloak.

"They hate you because you give them nothing. You are their ruler, Regina. And... smite me where I stand for telling you this, but you must give your attention to them, or at least your advisers who control those aspects of the kingdom. If it turns prosperous, your people will be contented and less likely to kill you." She felt a tightness in her chest as her gloved fingers curled into themselves in an attempt to keep her cool.