Chapter Fifteen

guess who's backkkkkk

ok but i aM SO SORRY FOR NOT UPDATING IN FREAKING MONTHS IVE BEEN HIGHKEY GUILTY THIS ENTIRE TIME PLEASE FORGIVE ME

but real talk,,, my writing style has changed sm throughout this book that ive been struggling to continue plotlines so uh if anything isn't consistent yUp thats why

(i also dont want to reread this bc its all super messy and cringy and ughhhh)

side note: idk if i said this already?? but no official relationships for nct dream oops they're all just friends in this book yikes sorry :)))

but yEet 3600+ word (vomit)update after a million years

enjoy~

~~~

Chan was glad for the break.

After what seemed to be three hours of continuous physical (and emotional) stress, Chan had finally found cover in the shade of a stray tree. What a random tree was doing planted mere minutes away from civilization, Chan wasn't sure, but he appreciated its presence nonetheless.

He glanced up at the sky, taking note that the sun suggested they were well into the afternoon - although in truth, it might've also been well into the evening due to the long summer hours. If his calculations were at all correct, this also meant that he was in that stupid building for almost two days. How pathetic of him.

The amount of thinking he'd done in the past few hours was overwhelming. Chan didn't think he'd even done that much in his training period, and that was saying something, considering how ruthless coaches could be. At least then he'd had the guarantee that someone was there for him. Out here, single-handedly battling people from skilled combatants to people who stood there thinking he wouldn't be able to knock them over, he was completely on his own. Chan grimaced as he recalled his complaints of not being independent. I probably jinxed it.

Being locked in a cellar had done something to Chan. He felt it deep in his bones - he felt it with such certainty that it scared even himself. He wasn't even sure how it had happened. How on earth do you mature from sitting in a cellar with nothing better to do than to count the tiles on the floor; to count the amount of footsteps it takes the NCT members to reach the steel door; to perfectly measure how long the sides of the room are and thus managing to solve for the total area of the room? But something had happened, and Chan wasn't sure if it was a good thing or not.

Call him basic, but Chan didn't like change. He never had. According to his parents, he'd even rejected new strollers and chairs gifted by friends and relatives. Clearly he had had little to none adaptive skills as a toddler. Maybe he should've done something about it, but he wasn't sure how. What was he supposed to do - just suck it up? It takes effort to feel comfortable in one thing. Getting uprooted and placed in a different version of the same concept was a bit more difficult for Chan than he'd like to admit.

Even as a child, he never understood why people were always so excited for new classes and new students. It just threw a wrench into your perfectly comfortable schedule. It was a new factor - a new variable with no estimate of what the value it held could possibly be, and it was just thrown into the equation. Half the time, the equation didn't even work anymore. It was just a new question altogether. You had to find a new answer on your own.

Well, maybe that metaphor was a bit excessive. But Chan really hated math and change, so he might as well.

What could've possibly caused him to change so drastically? Aside from being trapped in a cellar for two days and being talked shit on, there wasn't much else.