1 November 1981

Hello everyone, thanks for clicking to read! This started out as a short story, but I got a bit carried away (as I always do). If you've read my other series, please know that this is far better written than that, seeing as though I'm five years older than I was when I first embarked on that series.

As it says in the description I write Severus Snape far different than he is in the novels, so if that will bother you, this story probably isn't for you. This will focus on Severus and Lily of course, but also show the progression through the books, and on Harry's relationship with the two of them also. The chapters will be broken up by date, so some are very long while others are very short if I only needed to show a singular scene...I'll make sure to update twice that day though! Well thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy this! If you do please vote, comment, or even follow me :) I love to hear your ideas for the story, or any mistakes I may have made so feel free to comment or private message me!

(I wanted to give you a large taste of what the book would be like, not all the chapters are this long, I bet this is the longest one)

Lily was gone. The thought echoed through his mind again. His beloved Lily was gone. He had tried to save her but it was too late, Voldemort had showed up at Godric's Hollow last night and killed James and Lily before little Harry Potter was able to defeat him.

Now that she was gone there was a big part of him gone too. She hadn't been in his life for years but he thought about her everyday. He would even take being friends with her, he would get over his feud with James Potter if it meant that he and Lily could be friends again. Now he wouldn't get that chance.

The previous night he had made his way to Godric's Hollow before anyone else could get there, having been one of the first people to hear the news about the death of the Potters and the end of the Dark Lord. The house had been blown to bits and as he stepped inside he had to be careful of all the sharp objects sticking out from the ground. He found James on the staircase, wand in hand. After moving him to the couch downstairs and shutting his eyes Severus moved further up the stairs dreading what he was going to see. When he opened the door to the nursery he saw a little boy that seemed to be a replica of James Potter crying in his crib. Severus ignored him for now as all his attention was focused on the redheaded woman lying on the floor next to the crib. Her wand was in her hand and her hair was covering her already closed eyes. Severus began to cry heavily as he took her in his arms.

People would be arriving soon so he put a pillow under Lily's head and draped a blanket over her body before taking the baby boy out of the crib. He carried Harry downstairs into the playroom and placed him in his playpen and gave him a few toys and a pacifier. Consoling him the best he could in a couple minutes Severus then took a look into the baby's eyes and left the demolished house.

Now it was the next morning and he was still crying, keeping away from the drama happening outside his doorway. Dumbledore had visited him last night to tell him that Harry was going to stay with his aunt and uncle for the time being. Apparently Sirius Black had been the one that betrayed the Potters and the Ministry was currently looking for him after he killed several Muggles and his childhood friend Peter Pettigrew. News of the Dark Lord's demise had spread and Severus knew he should be out there with other Death Eaters, all of whom were hiding or trying to fabricate stories to keep themselves out of Azkaban. Severus wasn't too worried for himself, Dumbledore had promised he could keep Severus out of Azkaban if he helped him spy on the Dark Lord and Severus had been doing just that for the past two months.

Severus was sitting on his bed, tears streaming down his face as he peered through the contents of a box he hadn't opened in years. Strewn across his bed were pictures of him and Lily from when they were younger, some Muggle style and some enchanted to move. You could watch the two of them grow up together until suddenly the pictures stopped, after Severus had ruined their friendship forever.