1942

I've always wanted to be in the military. Although I don't really come from a military family. I grew up in Hawaii, USA. As soon as I turned 18 I signed up. I had heard about the war between England and Germary and really wanted to help England. On my 18th birthday I went down to a nearby military base and signed up. About 3 days later on the 6th of September 1942 they told me I had got in. I was overwhelmed but devastated at the same time. What was I going to tell my parents? They were going to be mad at me, they never really wanted me to join the army but I guess it was too late to turn back. This is what I wanted to do, so they were going to have to deal with my choice. 

It was the 8th of September and I decided it was time to tell my Mama and Papa about my new job. I was dreading it but I guess they have to know. I walked into the dining room. My Papa was sitting on a old wooden chair with a newspaper. He put down his newspaper and looked at me, then started reading it again. I walked closer towards him and sat on the chair next to him.

"Papa, can I speak to you" I said trembling, I was afraid of what he was going to say,

"What is it son?". He put down the paper on the dining room table and looked me in the eyes.

" I... I've got a job in the army"

He paused for a moment, his big blue eyes began to fill with tears. He stood up and charged out of the room, slamming the door behind him. I sighed and trudged back upstairs to my small room and began packing my suitcase. I was going to battle in a few days. I was terrified, I was trying not to think about the bad things and look on the bright side but in this situation there was no bright side. I stopped packing for a moment and sat on my bed, I looked out of my window. It was raining outside, I could not see a thing. I put my head in my hands and sobbed. I didn't know what to do, my parents hated me now but this is what I wanted to do. My Mama always told me to follow my dreams, and this was my dream. I lifted up my head and wiped my tears from my eyes before standing up and continuing packing.

It was the 21st of September 1942, my first day in the army. I was stood at the train station in the pouring rain. I was standing on the edge of the platform. I looked behind me, my Mama was crying and my Papa was hugging my mom and telling her everything was going to be ok. Although they both knew it wasn't going to be ok. I looked back ahead of me. I could hear the train coming towards the platform. I waited until it stopped and got on it. It was only a small train, there was black smoke coming from the front of it. I looked behind me and smiled at my Mama. It could possibly be the last smile I ever gave my Mama. She forced a smile back and waved as the train began to pull forward. I was already regretting this. I went and sat down by the window. I looked out the window and saw my Mama and Papa walking out of the train station. I took a deep breath in and out. I knew that it could be the last time I ever see my parents face again. I put my head back on the seat and closed my eyes and waited for what was ahead of me.