Chapter 1

The loud rattles of the door sliding open and the cuffs being unlocked filled Ivy's ears.

"Godammit Astrid. This is the seventh time this year I've bailed you out. Be more careful." She scowled as she pulled the female from the grasp of two guards.

"I know Ivy I know. I get it." Astrid mumbled back with a voice laced with boredom.

"This isn't some game." Ivy mumbled. "This is serious. And if you don't start taking it seriously-"

"Than I'm going to get killed blah blah blah. I know Ivy. Get off my back. I've been here longer then you have." Astrid rolled her eyes as they both plowed out of the loud police station.

"Next time it'll be you bailing me out." Ivy laughed.

"Yeah. Sure." Astrid joked, shaking her head as both females made their way back to their shared apartment.

Ivy pulled her lanyard out of her pocket and searched for her house key in the wide selection she had.

As she turned the lock and pushed in through the heavy door, Astrid bumped her shoulder allowing herself to walk freely beyond Ivy.

"Slow down idiot. Don't hurt yourself." Ivy rolled her green eyes at the brunette.

Astrid and Ivy were best friends. They lived together, were in the same gang and did everything together.

"I'm flattered that you care." Astrid replied as she walked into their shared kitchen to grab a water bottle.

"Yo Ivs?" Astrid spoke up, looking through the doorway at the red head who was hanging up her jacket.

"Yup?" Ivy replied, walking into the kitchen as well.

"How... are you able to control yourself around people? I mean, this world is filled with werewolves, vampires, witches and even hybrids. How do vampires control their blood lust?" Astrid asked, taking a sip from her water bottle.

"Well," ivy started, a little flabbergasted from the question. "You know I drink blood while I'm here. So I try my hardest to keep it under control. Especially in front of the humans. Which is most of the population you know." She laughed. "You say the world is crawling with immortals but it isn't. There's barely any of us..." she mumbled.

The brunette looked at Ivy and chuckled. "I know I know. There's barely any super natural beings in this town. I love the fact my best friend is one though." She smirked as she patted Ivy's shoulder and walked out of the room.

"Yeah Yeah Astrid." Ivy chuckled, opening up the fridge and taking out a blue water bottle always filled with a familiar crimson liquid.

Astrid sat down on the couch and put her feet up on the coffee table in front of her, turning on the tv.

"No no no Astrid." Ivy said, sipping from the metal water bottle. "Training first you dumbass." She chuckled.

Astrid groaned out as she turned off the tv, setting the black remote on the coffee table. "Fine." She snarled jokingly, smiling as she stood up once again.

"Where this time? Beach? Forest? Oh! The soccer field where all the guys are practicing?" Astrid questioned, grabbing her well loved chainsaw off the stand beside the couch.

"Grab my bow and come along." Ivy chuckled, shaking her head and walking out on to the little porch out the back sliding door.

"Ivy where are you going? There's barely enough space the sit out there let alone train." Astrid said, grabbing Ivy's bow and set of arrows and doing as told.

Ivy sat herself on the railing and smiled at the brunette. With that railing, one wrong move and she could fall to her death. But, Ivy can't die. no. Not without a stake to the heart.

"Don't do that." Astrid chuckled as Ivy stood up on the side of the railing. The two had an apartment on the highest floor.

Ivy gestured her head so Astrid would get the clue. "Taking the quick way down." She smirked as Astrid walked over and stood up on the railing as well, putting Ivy's bow around her body and sliding her arrows on her shoulder.

Astrid set her hand on Ivy's free shoulder as the red head made a movement and before Astrid knew it, the two of them were on the ground and walking in the direction of the forest.

"Dustin is tagging along." Ivy smiled as the pair made their way down the empty street.

"Ughhhh. As usual." Astrid laughed as Ivy softly hit her.

"Hey! At least I have a boyfriend!" The red head teased.

"Shut up." Astrid said, rolling her eyes and laughing.

The pair soon made it to the forest, seeing a black haired male swinging a sword in his hand.

"Hey babe." His deep voice filled the ears of the two females approaching.

Ivy smiled and walked up to him, his one hand finding her waist as the other held the sword. The red head set one hand on his cheek and the other on his shoulder, the two sharing a sweet moment together.

"Okay, part lips so we can train. And hi to you too Dustin." Astrid said with a laugh.

"Sup Astrid." He chuckled, letting go of Ivy.

The brunette smiled. "That's better."

A snap filled Ivy's ears. Only she could hear it due to her hearing, sight and smell heightened. Being a vampire had its perks.

Ivy's face went straight as she let her eyes travel around the forest area around them. "Dus, did you come alone?" She whispered.

The male nodded.

"So are we gunna train or-"

"Goddammit Astrid. Be quiet!" Ivy whispered yelled. "There's someone following us."

Astrid went silent. Dustin as well as they all looked around.

Ivy slid the bow off her body and took out an arrow, loading her bow. She thought about it, letting any sounds flow through her ears to let her know where the stalker was.

"Duck." She whispered to Dustin.

He did as told and ducked.

Ivy quickly drew back her bow and shot it where the male was previously standing.

The arrow flew right into a female, her body going limp and falling to the ground with a thump.

"Jeez Ives. Good shot." Astrid said patting the girls shoulder as she put down her bow.

"Thanks." She whispered, looking around the forest quickly.

The red head walked up to the corpse on the ground, checking over it.

"She's a wolf." Ivy started. "Look at her eyes."

The two others came up to the corpse as well, peering into her eyes. They were bright golden with amber highlights.

"Stupid bitch..." Astrid mumbled.

"Show a little respect. She's dead." Dustin said, shaking his head softly.

"She's part of a different gang. We are rivals with them." Astrid pointed out. "Look at her knife."

Ivy's eyes travelled down to the knife on the ground, previously in the dead females hand.

The handle had symbols engraved in it Ivy hasn't seen before. She's the newest member of her current gang but it's been a while. Still, the only person who would know these marks is Astrid. Maybe Dustin.

"That's..." Dustin started off.

"Yep." Astrid replied.

That's when it hit Ivy. The gang that everyone told Ivy to steer clear of. She's just made the biggest mistake of her life killing that girl.

"Skulls..."