Chapter One

Oh, not again! Come on! What does a girl have to do to get some peace and quiet?

All Emma Lauren wanted to do was to sit out on the balcony of her third-floor apartment and put her feet up. She wanted a nice peaceful moment to enjoy what little outdoor space she had after a long day at work. Yet here she was again, forced to hide behind her blinds while her neighbor and his scraggly friends sat outside, lounging on his balcony. It wouldn't be so bad if his balcony wasn't right next door to hers. Then, at least, she could go outside without having to listen to their annoying comments, and put up with their leering eyes.

A week ago today, had she known about her undesirable neighbor and his mooching friends, she would never have signed the lease on her new apartment.

As a matter of fact, a week ago today, this apartment seemed ideal. Situated on nice tree lined street in the Hollywood Hills, it presented itself as the perfect place for her to live. It was close to everything, like the grocery store, restaurants and most importantly it was affordable. It was also conveniently located near a bus stop that she could easily walk to and from on her way to her job at Mr. Yen's Flower Shop.

The space itself wasn't all that impressive, but it was well laid out. The fact that it was nicely furnished and in move-in condition helped too. Eventually, she would like to paint the walls a brighter color than the dull gray and neutral taupes that now dominated the rooms. Other than that, the place itself was perfect. She had a small kitchenette and living room to the left of the entrance and a nice bathroom with a classic claw foot tub across the hallway from her cozy bedroom. The bedroom faced the street with a sliding door that led out onto a gorgeous little balcony.

The same balcony that she no longer felt comfortable sitting out on due to her ungainly neighbor and his entourage of misfit friends. It wouldn't be so bad if they'd simply ignore her but she knew better than that. The other day, she made the mistake of assuming that she could sit outside and quietly read her book when out of nowhere they showed up and made it literally impossible for her with their constant snickering and attempts to get her attention.

Every day this week, she had come home, hoping to spend some time outside, only to find him out there strumming his unplugged electric guitar while one or two of his friends rambled on about anything and everything into the late hours of the evening.

She couldn't help but listen in on their sordid tales. Even with her door shut tight and blinds closed, she could hear them go on about everything from crazy ex-girlfriends, drunken exploits, and bar fights.

She thought about the other tenants from the first and second-floor apartments and wondered why she'd gotten so unlucky with her neighbor. She had run into them now and then. They seemed nice enough. There was a busy young couple on the first floor who were never home. Beside them, lived a single guy in his early thirties who walked dogs for a living. On the second floor, there lived a single forty-something mother and her eight-year-old daughter, Elizabeth, who often greeted Emma on her way to and from school. Next door to them, lived two spinsters, Maria, and Carmella, both in their late fifties who on more than one occasion had invited Emma along to their church meetings to which she had politely declined.

Darn it all, though, tonight was different. It was Friday evening and she'd worked a long day getting flower arrangements ready for three different wedding parties tomorrow. She was physically exhausted. Her boss, Mr. Yen, had kept her busy up to her elbows in roses and baby's breath. Now all she wanted was a couple of stress-free hours out on her balcony with a tall glass of lemonade in one hand and her book in the other.

This is ridiculous! She was determined to reclaim her right to her balcony. Grabbing her lemonade and reaching for her book, she made up her mind and drew back the blinds with every intention of going outside.