Chapter 6

Chapter 6

          I followed the directions Harmony texted me, roaming the streets to find my way to Jesse’s usual club. It was busier than I expected it to be at eight at night on a Wednesday. Swarms of people were going in and out of the neon lit front doors, girls clung to each other and stumbled about, nearly breaking ankles in their sky high heels. I pushed my way past a group of ladies who were fumbling their way out onto the sidewalk, their giggles filling the night air. I couldn’t stop myself from rolling my eyes at their obvious intoxication.

          I continued through the doors and found myself swallowed by a mass of sweaty, drunk bodies dancing together in a clump. After forcing my way into the only open space on this side of the building-a small circle of velvet chairs-I stood up on the closest seat and peered over the heads of the clubbers in search of the bar. When I figured out the general direction, I jumped off the chair and started pressing through the crowd. Their sweat stained skin made it harder than it should have been to push through their bodies. Everyone’s arms stuck together like glue, creating barricades I had to squeeze through.

          A hand landed on my arm right as I was about to break free of the swarm. I glanced behind me to see a tall blonde girl pulling me back toward the dance floor.

          “Where do you think you’re going?” She asked, her silky voice rising above the loud bass of the song playing.

          I cocked a brow at her as she ran her hand up my arm and batted her eyelashes at me. “Excuse me?”

          “You’re going to leave a pretty girl out here all alone? C’mon, dance with me.”

          I pulled my arm free of her grasp and took a step away. “Have you looked around? I’m sure you can find someone who actually wants to dance with you.” I winced when I saw her face contort after those words left my mouth. “I’m sorry, that was too harsh. I’m only here to find my friend,” I explained. “I didn’t come to dance with anyone.”

          “Whatever. I can do better anyway.” She spun around, flipping her hair over her shoulder as she did, and melted back into the mass of swaying bodies.

          I would have felt bad for hurting her feelings if it weren’t for her overdramatic attitude. Shaking my head at the spot the girl had just left, I turned back to the bar, hoping to spot Jesse right away. I scanned the faces and backs of the few people I could see, but, unfortunately, there was no sign of him.

          “Can I help you?” the female bartender asked me, flashing a kind smile. She was tiny, barely tall enough to reach the glasses on the second shelf, much less the ones on the very top that she was trying to get down. The other worker, a much taller guy, came over and got them down for her, nodding when she thanked him.

          The girl looked back at me and raised her brows, reminding me I had never answered her. “Oh, I hope so. I’m looking for my friend. His name’s Jesse and he’s about my height with black hair that’s probably messy and spiked on the top.” I tapped my chin, trying to think of anything that would identify Jess. “He probably met a girl here and bought her a drink.” Or five. Whatever he usually does to win them over. I didn’t know the details of his games.

          The bartender pursed her lips then frowned at me. “Babe, you just described about half of the guys in here. I wish I could help you more, but I really can’t. Would you care for a drink?”

          “Just water, thanks.” I sat down on ones of the stools and put my head in my hands, letting a frustrated groan out.

          “Blaze? That you, mate?”