Chapter 1

I stared at my reflection in the mirror while straightening my long, frizzy auburn hair with a straightening wand. From past two hours, I have been sitting in front of the mirror of the washroom of the hotel's room I am sharing with my friend and colleague, Skylar. I wanted to look perfect today, but my hairs are not in the mood to make me look and feel good.

I sighed, as my arms got tired holding my Cloud 9 straightener for so long above my head and gave them a mini rest. Working up for my perfection has never been an easy task, it takes hours of hard work but the results are excessively satisfying for me to complain about it. I started redoing my hair and finally once I was done, I stared at my reflection and examined every inch of my face by looking left and right in the mirror. My face was okay but when my eyes landed on my waist, my face just scrunched in disgust. I lifted my T-shirt up and observed my belly with disgusting stretch marks all over it. Everyone says I am not fat, but I am not that perfectly shaped either. Somehow after a long journey from plus sizes I managed to fit into size 10 today, but it's not looking good. There is still a lot of skin, which I need to shred. I sucked in some air to make it look flat and better but there is no way you can hide your fat but this isn't my priority for the moment. My priority is my makeup.

I don't know why I was feeling a bit anxious today for my makeup. I grabbed a bottle of my make-up setting spray and sprayed an ample amount of it on my face once again.

"Ari... are you done?" I heard Skylar's voice from the room.

"Coming..." I shouted while drying my face by fanning it with my palms.

"Come fast. The bus has already arrived." She shouted and I started growing panic. I checked my face for the one last time and adjusting my bangs over my forehead I stepped out.

"Am I looking fine?" I asked after sucking in some air and nervously fidgeting with my hair. Skylar was packing her stuff scattered on the bed in her bag but then she pauses and looks up.

"Perfect." She gave thumbs up and I smiled although I know it was lie.

I am not perfect.

"I hope it stays long enough." I said and reached for my bag and started shoving my things in.

"Don't worry, it's just the matter of few hours and even if it does I'll finally get to see you first time without this makeup." She said wearing her green colored identity card lanyard around her neck, unintentionally making me more anxious. That can't happen. She can't see me without it, if she will then she won't be my best friend anymore and I can't afford to lose her. She is all I have.

"Don't forget your identity card." She reminded me as I was pondering over the consequences of all that can happen if my makeup goes out.

"Ari? Are you okay?" She shook me gently.

"Huh? Y-yeah...I am fine." I stuttered.

"I-card." She motioned with her eye to my I-card lying on my bed. I quickly grabbed it and quickly wore it's green lanyard around my neck. We both were dressed in simple black T-shirt and black denims, which were are kind of our dress code for our team for tonight's event. I looked at my card, hanging near my stomach; I bought it up and read my name.

Arianna Rose (Assistant Make-up Artist)

New York Fashion Week- 2018

I smiled proudly seeing my name on it that almost bought happy and proud tears in my eyes. Everything is happening at such a rapid pace, that I am not able to wrap my head around it. Just a year back I came to LA, to fulfill my dreams of providing the perfection everyone seeks through make-up and in just few months; I got a job in one of the leading make-up brands back in LA. My work was appreciated and I even got the chance to work with celebrities for the photo-shoots and other events, but this time I got the opportunity to join the team of professional makeup artists as an assistant for New York Fashion Week 2018 when my brand decided to be its official sponsors and I couldn't ask for more.