Chapter 9: One Step Closer

I woke up to violent screaming, raised voices, and heated conversations.

Scrambling out of bed, I stood by the bedroom door frame, leaning against it as I overheard the conversation in the living room.

"What do you mean ‘you're not going’?!" Josh yelled, frustrated. "This is what J.D. wants us to do!"

"Yeah, do you have a death wish or something, Alysa?" hissed Janna.

"No, she doesn't," Kait interfered. "She actually has a good point!"

"Oh, I'm sorry, since when were you named Alysa?" scoffed Josh.

"Okay, obviously I don't want to talk about this so she answered for me. What's your problem with that, huh?!" snapped Alysa.

"Guys, stop it. We're supposed to be friends," Richmond chimed in.

"Oh, please," scoffed Kait aloud. "And whose stupid ass idea was that? J.D.'s?"

"Everyone shut up!" Francis screamed, obviously tired of their disputes by the tone of his voice.

After that, I couldn't make anything out anymore. Their shouts were all merged with one another, all of them raising their voice so that their argument would be heard the clearest.

My ears couldn't take it anymore so I stepped out, my hand nervously cupping my elbow. "M-morning," I mumbled out.

All of them snapped their heads in my direction as if ready to pounce, ceasing all the arguments.

Francis walked over to me, groggy smile plastered on his face. "Hey, you," he said, planting a small kiss on my forehead.

"Hey," I replied.

Turning to face the others, I asked, "So what were you all fighting about?"

"Check your phone," answered Richmond.

I retrieved my phone from my pocket to see that there was a text... from J.D.

Blocked number
Search Jermaine's apartment to put a halt to all your childish arguements.
1230 Bouverie Street.
- J.D.

I scoffed. "Put an end to all our arguments? How ironic. If anything, this text sparked up more conflict."

I sighed before I added, "Are we going?"

My question caused all of them to start up their fight again, making me cover my ears in irritation.

It seemed as if they were ready to go on a hand to hand combat so I immediately screamed to let them stop.

They did, so I spoke up. "Let's just check out the address and see if it's really worth fighting about, okay?"

Eyeing each other, they eventually agreed, and we left the inn we were staying at.

"Here it is," said Kait, pointing to the cream colored door at the far end of the hall.

Following her lead, we arrived at the front of the door—only to see that the door was locked.

"One sec," Alysa said as she fished something out of her black locks.

A Bobby pin.

She inserted it into the lock and started to wiggle it in.