A Bountiful Case

Ok, so this is an AU oneshot. Some things are changed to fit, but it's not entirely unrecognisable. {see end notes}

Disclaimer: I do not own Bleach or any of its characters.

...

..

.

Under the scorching heat of the desert, two individuals stepped up to a dilapidated sign pointing towards a nearby town called "Sunk". Both were covered head to toe in a thick cloak to shield against the howling elements and the hot sand that churned relentlessly among them. Their faces were obscured by the deep shadows of their cowl as they struggled against the storm.

When they reached the gates of their destination, they paused. One looked at the other. A wave of strange pressure had overwhelmed them for a second before it retreated back into the boundaries of the settlement. No danger, however, came at them and so they proceeded in silence.

  -------------  

Inside a tavern, the seated duo had become the talk of the town. Who could ever come to this isolated, miserable place? Unlike other wayfarers that had stumbled their way in, these two conveyed a sense of confidence and power. The curious inhabitants of this establishment licked their lips.

Despite the men's curiosity, it was ultimately a skimpily dressed woman – a prostitute – that came first to address them.

"Anything you guys want?"

"Just water." The individual on the left replied in a low, dismissive voice.

The woman frowned but scurried off nonetheless to fulfill the order. Just then, onlookers gasped when the one on the right flipped off the obscuring fabric. They were met with a beautiful, young face; silver eyes rounded by charcoal powder, and a luscious mane of hair that appeared to be dyed a woody brown. All eyes immediately turned to her companion who also removed the cowl with a quiet hum. It was a man underneath; dark-haired with flawless, pale-peach skin that made him a different beauty alongside the woman. And his eyes were but the rarest shade of green!

Their drinks arrived and the prostitute eyed their features tastefully before tallying up their price.

"Two silver pieces," she said as she handed them their cups of yellowish-tinted water.

Several men in the background coughed, hiding their snickers.

Green Eyes dropped the exact amount into the woman's hands, completely unbothered, even as she tried to advertise her other 'more-qualified' services. He turned to his cup and took a long, slow sip. Silver Eyes did the same, although glares were suddenly exchanged between them. A small pout marred the lady's pretty face.

"What business has brought a pretty filly like you here?" Another man's voice approached, his fingers already trailing past the crook of said woman's chin.

Green Eyes' glare was swiftly directed to the newcomer. The toned man dressed in tight leather stared him down, but the difference in height and strength were rendered null when suddenly he was arrested from the back. Nobody had seen him move.

"Come, join us."

The melodic voice came from Silver Eyes. Nobody had thought she would say such a thing either. Most women of her beauty would have been scared shitless or be fuming beyond belief. Her companion merely nodded and settled back to her side.

Hesitantly, the newcomer took his seat opposite them. A few eyes followed him jealously, mourning over the fact that they had missed their chance to get close to the pair.