Mockingjay: A Longer Ending

The black ghosts of trees loom over me as I sprint through the darkness. Snarling growls ring between the thundering sound of the mutts' paws and dare me to continue running through the forest. I only pause a second to slip one of my last remaining arrows into my bow before continuing to dart between the trees.

My grey eyes land on a tree only a yard ahead of me. I spring into its branches and scramble up to as high of a nook as I can manage and look down at my attackers.

Different shades of brown fur, barely visible in the dim moonlight that filters between the trees, and bright wolf-like eyes huddle beneath my tree and attempt to claw their way to me. Everything seems to be moving slower now, as if submerged in a deep pool of black water. The thick air threatens to choke me as I pull back the string of my bow. And that's when I see it.

One mutt stands apart from the others. It looks up at me with bright blue eyes and wheat-blonde fur that slowly begins to shift over its body. It stands up on its hind legs, and its fur recedes into pale skin. Prim.

She shoots me a look full of... pain? Sadness? It is hard to tell. But before I can do or say anything, the mutts begin to attack her. I watch as she is torn apart by the horrible beasts. And then a blood-curtling scream fills the air. Over and over again it rings through the night.

My body is shaking and I can't control it. And then I hear a voice. Not Prim's sweet, sing-song voice, but a boy's, filled with what I can only guess is concern.

"Shh... Katniss, everything's okay. I'm here..."

My eyes open to more darkness. A wave of confusion hits me and I look frantically from side to side, unsure of where I am. And then I remember. The boy's voice is Peeta's.

I let out a deep sigh as I lay my head back against the pillows. I feel Peeta's strong arms around my waist, holding me to him.

"Another nightmare?" he asks, sliding a piece of my dark hair behind my ear. I nod. "Do you want to talk about it?"

Usually I would decline this offer, but I already know I won't be getting much sleep tonight, and maybe letting out some of my grief will make it easier to deal with.

"It was... the mutts... and one of them was Prim and..." I know I won't be able to continue. I bury my face into his shirt and try to hold back the tears, with little success. He brings me closer to him and lightly kisses the top of my head.

"It's okay. We don't have to talk about it. Shh..."

And we lay like this for the next few hours until my thoughts begin to fade into darkness.

-------

Bright sunlight filters in through the lilac-patterned curtains and dances across the insides of my eyelids, turning them the color of an orange sunset. Peeta's favorite color.

I push the comforter away from my face, craning my neck to look behind me at Peeta's sleeping figure. Does everyone look younger while they sleep? Because as I take in his long golden eyelashes and slightly messy blonde hair, I notice how peaceful he looks.

Not knowing what time it is, but not wanting to waste a clear morning for hunting, I force myself out of bed. Moving slowly as to not wake Peeta, I walk to my closet and dress in my normal green top and tan pants. I slip on my brown leather hunting boots and stroll to the bedroom door. As I'm deciding whether or not to leave Peeta a note, he stirs under the sheets and slowly sits up.

"Are you going hunting?" he asks. I can tell he's not fully awake by the slurring of his words.

"Yes," I tell him as I move towards the bed, "so you should just sleep in until I get back, okay?" I push on his chest in an attempt to get him to listen to me. He refuses.