The Lying Game

Chapter 1

April's POV

"Can I get a small coffee please?"

"Sure thing. What's your name?" I asked as though I haven't known him since the second grade and had a crush on him since freshman year.

Not that he's ever noticed me before. "Mason," he said.

 "James, one small coffee, please." I told to my best friend James as I wrote Mason's name on a cup. James and I have been best friends since we were three years old. He had brown hair and slightly pale skin, Caucasian and brown eyes. When we decided to get a job during our sophomore year we both though it would be awesome if we both worked together, and seeing how we both loved coffee so much the local coffee shop seemed perfect.

"Will do!" he yelled to me.

Mason went to sit at a table and James got his coffee ready, I heard the familiar ding that alerted us when a customer walked in.

"James?" I internally groaned at the sound of that voice, knowing who it belonged to. Great.

I heard a loud thunk right next to me and I looked down to find James hiding behind the cash register on the floor.

"Duck down!" James whispered to me. Panicked and confused I did what he said.

"What's happening, are we hiding?" I asked.

"Yes!" he whispered back, "God, I can't stand Victoria. She just won't leave me alone. She’s like a leech. Only human, and has boobs."

"James, if you want her to go away then just break up with her already."

"I'll break up with her when you tell Mason that you love him."

I bit my lip. "You're right, stay down there. Hiding is best."

"Besides," James continued, "I can't, she scares me."

I laughed.

He glared, "This is no laughing matter, April. Seriously, it's like I'm in the movie Swimfan or something. Except it's my life!"

"Playing it up a bit much?" I asked.

"Maybe a bit, but I really can't stand her anymore."

Someone above us cleared their throat. Mason was craning his neck over the counter to see us, "Sorry, but is there any chance I could get my coffee now? I kind of need to go."

"Yeah!" I leaped up, quickly poured him some and gave it to him. "Here you go."

He grabbed it from me and smiled, "Thanks."

"No problem!" then I did the most embarrassing thing in my life. I curtsied.

Mason looked at me like I had two heads and he quickly left.

Oh, god. Below me I heard laughter; I looked down and saw James laughing at me. Glaring at him I yelled, "Victoria, James is right here."

James stopped laughing and widened his eyes.

"Thanks, April!" Victoria let herself in behind the register and smiled at James. "Hey baby! I missed you! What are you doing down there? Are you hiding from me?” She had no idea how right she was. Her straight blond hair and her blue eyes-- she was a year older than James and I-- made her look very sweet. But James and I both knew that wasn't true. As soon as she was out of the public eye she was the rudest person on the planet. How James survived six months with her I'll never know.

James jumped up. "Psssh! No, what gave you that idea?"

Victoria smiled. "I knew you wouldn't hide from me. Thanks for helping me find him, April."